My airlock is whistling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smorris

Reaction score
Continous stream of CO2, not even bubbles it is coming so fast. Going to have to ditch the airlock and go to a blowoff. I never heard the airlock make a sound before besides the gurgle of bubbles. I guess I better get to it before it repaints the room for me. SWMBO would not be happy. :eek:

smorris said:
Continous stream of CO2, not even bubbles it is coming so fast. Going to have to ditch the airlock and go to a blowoff. I never heard the airlock make a sound before besides the gurgle of bubbles. I guess I better get to it before it repaints the room for me. SWMBO would not be happy. :eek:
Does the beer your making have a high gravity? What are you making? Just wondering cause I had the same thing happen to me. The last one I made had a OG of 1085, I did use a starter though. I could never get it to finish lower than 1030 it was to sweet. I ended up ditching the whole batch, after I tried to salvage it. I dont remember what kind of yeast I used.

Cooling the ferment will probably slow it down a bit, and might improve the results, depending on what style of beer you're brewing, and what sort of yeast. From what I have read, many yeasts develop estery or banana flavors at the higher end of their optimum temprature range. Buy some of those color coded temp strips for your fermenters, they are the easiest way to monitor the temp of your progressing brew. Oh, and the wet towl thing works well, and if you want even more cooling, face a fan toward it to increase evaporation.

You can enhance the cooling effect of the towel by directing a fan on it and forcing water evaporation from the towel. If you find that the towel dries out too fast, you can set the carboy in a shallow pan and put an inch or two of water in it and hang the towel so it can wick up the water as it dries out.

Prosit,

I always put the primary in front of the cold air return for the central A/C which tends to produce a nice breeze and keeps the coolest air in the house flowing over it. I has slowed down somewhat but is still banging away, should be ready for secondary by Thursday I suspect.

Back