My 2nd brew, ipa.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retief

Reaction score
This is by far one the tastiest brews i have ever had! Its a much darked version than i intended it to be, but i think that was due to me boiling a full 5gallons instead of the kit recommended 1.5 gals. My red ale said to do that so i did it here without thinking.

Extract based beers are almost always darker than expected. You can mitigate this somewhat by adding most of the extract at fifteen minutes or less. As Josiah2729 says, full boils are recommended if you have the capapbility.

+1 to everyones recommendations.

Add 1/2 of the malt extract at 15 min to flame out will produce a lighter color beer, the longer the malt extract is boiled the darker it gets, also the more water you start off with, the better.

I also recommend not brewing IPAs as I don't like them and will not come over and drink one with you, lmao

Im probably coming to town on tuesday retief, Ill bring you a El Guapo Negro if I do, ok.

Cheers :mug:

That sounds like a plan wile e. ! I have some of my red ale and since you dont like ipa, i guess you wont want any, but i suggest you take one and criticize how horrible ipas are lol.
Let me also ask this question... I have the capability to boil 3.5-4 gallons, i have a nice big pot. Should i be boiling as much as possible for all my beers, even if the kit says boil 1.5?

That sounds like a plan wile e. ! I have some of my red ale and since you dont like ipa, i guess you wont want any, but i suggest you take one and criticize how horrible ipas are lol.
Let me also ask this question... I have the capability to boil 3.5-4 gallons, i have a nice big pot. Should i be boiling as much as possible for all my beers, even if the kit says boil 1.5?

Boil such as possible.

Ok, so i boil as much as possible. Whats with the adding malt 15 minutes to flame out?

WileECoyote said:
+1 to everyones recommendations.

Add 1/2 of the malt extract at 15 min to flame out will produce a lighter color beer, the longer the malt extract is boiled the darker it gets, also the more water you start off with, the better.

I also recommend not brewing IPAs as I don't like them and will not come over and drink one with you, lmao

Im probably coming to town on tuesday retief, Ill bring you a El Guapo Negro if I do, ok.

Do i add the first half of the malt at the begenning of the boil as usual then

Always do full boils. My brews are all darker than anticipated--not a lot, but noticeably so.

Lol, Im not going to bash your IPA, everyone has different taste, but I would not be the right person to critique it ether, or even ask my opinion on a IPA for that matter :D

IMO always boil with as much as you can get away with.

My second brew was also an IPA! I just bottled yesterday. It's a clone of Racer 5 and it tasted great. Here's a pic of it. I think the color looks pretty good and I believe it's do to the fact I had a measurement mistake and ended up boiling 4 gallons instead of the intended 3.

Cheers!

image-1808092640.jpg

Pelican521 said:
My second brew was also an IPA! I just bottled yesterday. It's a clone of Racer 5 and it tasted great. Here's a pic of it. I think the color looks pretty good and I believe it's do to the fact I had a measurement mistake and ended up boiling 4 gallons instead of the intended 3.

Cheers!

Looks nice. Thats the color im hoping for!

Hey! So I did a racer 5 clone too for my second brew!

I'm in 2nd week of primary and just dry hopped after taking gravity reading. I'm at a 1.020 with an OG of 1.050 (temps been in mid to low 60's) and am hoping to get a FG closer to 1.010 by bottling time at week 3. What temp did you keep it at and what was your FG?

Latest posts

Back