"Must have" grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAg

Reaction score
So, the LHBS is not convienent to me, and I want to start buying grain in bulk (mostly from them, so no preaching about supporting LHBS).

What grains are your "must haves" around the brewery?

I like to make porters and pale ales, so right now I have:

2-row
Maris Otter
black patent
chocolate
10l crystal
Vienna

What could you not live without?

If you're talking 55# sacks: American 2-row, pilsner, Munich, and Maris Otter. Someone may want Vienna in there, but I don't use it that much.

For something to keep five or ten pounds around: something medum Crystal (40-60L, maybe a couple of those, and that would be more like the 10#), chocolate or carafa, dark Munich, carapils.

I don't go through that much black patent, but a couple pounds might not be bad to have around.

TL

When I first stocked up, I got (in pounds):
2-row (55lb)
chocolate (2)
roasted barley (2)
vienna (5)
munich (5)
crystal 20, 40, and 60 (5lb each)
amber(5)
carapils(3)

It ended up being a pretty good selection - other than another sack of base grain (this time maris otter) I've only needed to buy a few pounds of other specialty grains (melanoidin, crystal 120, special B, and caramunich) which I needed for very specific recipes... Not counting flaked barley and oats and other adjuncts, which I can buy locally.

The above posts look good to me, but I am more particular to Golden Promise over MO. I like to have Munich and Pils in larger quantities as base malts, and a good sampling of Crystal 40, some roasted malts, flaked wheat and only a pound or two of carafa special. There are no husks on the carafa, so you can essentually turn small quantities (like ounces) into a powder and add it at sparging to bump up SRM without much roastiness.

Maris Otter, Carastan (Crystal 60ish), roasted barley, chocolate.

I also use a ton of victory but you can make that yourself from MO or standard 2-row.

This is my grain selection right now, and I can do almost everything I want with this. I'll probably maintain this as my "normal" inventory.

25#:
American 2-row pale
Maris Otter

5#:
Vienna

2#:
Crystal 15, 40, 60, 120

1#:
Special Roast
Chocolate
Black Patent
Roasted Barley

When the base grains are gone I'll restock with 55# bags. I buy Vienna in 10# increments, crystals in 2# increments, and roasted grains in 1# increments.

Dingmann Pils
Belgian Aromatic
American 6-row diastatic
Roasted Barley

bradsul said:
I do it before milling. You have me wondering about toasting some after milling to see what the difference is though.

I'm curious too because my stuff is pre-crushed :confused:

Soulive21 said:
I'm curious too because my stuff is pre-crushed :confused:
With less mass per piece I might try dropping the time down to 10 minutes. The smaller pieces will heat through much more quickly. I'm really curious now so I think I'll do a test with a little bit of whole and a little bit of crushed and see what the difference is.

bradsul said:
With less mass per piece I might try dropping the time down to 10 minutes. The smaller pieces will heat through much more quickly. I'm really curious now so I think I'll do a test with a little bit of whole and a little bit of crushed and see what the difference is.

Yeah definitely let us know. Thanks...:mug:

Back