Must have been a vigorous fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-E-R-M-A-N

Reaction score
Ok so after working out my issues and getting my Herms system in order, I wound up brewing a Düsseldorf alt beer.

It appeared to be a dark amber when going into the boiling pot, but was much darker after getting into fermentor. I wound up getting 1.051 final gravity before pitching yeast. I had made a starter previously, and I am guessing it payed off, because the airlock was bubbling very fast yesterday.

Today after work I come to take a peak , and noticed that the wort had bubbled out of the airlock, and found the inner piece of the airlock on the floor of the fridge. I have brewed a heff with an blow off hose , but was not expecting this.

Opinions on color and fermentation would be good.
43630016-1.jpg

It doesn't count as a vigorous fermentation if you don't have to mop the ceiling.

Any idea how hot it got?

Depending on the yeast you can keep the temperature as low as the yeast will work at. For Nottingham I ferment at 60F to 62F (not air temperature) and then none of the krausen comes out. I do use a blow off tube though as it could overflow with a higher gravity brew.

It doesn't count as a vigorous fermentation if you don't have to mop the ceiling.

Any idea how hot it got?

Not sure on how hot things got. I am controlling fridge temp via johnson controller probe taped on the front of fermentor. I have my temp set at 65-66. I am using wyeast 1007 I believe.

Depending on the yeast you can keep the temperature as low as the yeast will work at. For Nottingham I ferment at 60F to 62F (not air temperature) and then none of the krausen comes out. I do use a blow off tube though as it could overflow with a higher gravity brew.

I had considered using a blowoff but can never get them clean after brewing. The krausen part is a real ***** to clean when it is dried on to anything. (even with pbw.)

Soak blowoff tubes in hot oxyclean or (better) beer line cleaner, the crud comes right off.
I hated them until I found BLC.

Yep, oxyclean works wonders. I had some serious crud on the blowoff tube from my belgian pale ale, and it all came off within a couple minutes with oxyclean.

G-e-r-m-a-n,

The yeast is able to go as low as 55F. Why 65F?

The lower the temperature the better the beer and the less violent the fermentation.

SPECS:
Origin: Wyeast 1007
Flocculation: low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 55-68° F (13-20° C)

Yes i was under the impression for an Alt that it's fermented much cooler than normal ales to get that "altish" character.

Well damn I will lower it down then slowly. I did not know that it would affect it like that. Man I feel like I missed the boat here! I just went by what beersmith said to keep temp at.

Yeah I always check the yeast manufacturers web site to check fermentation ranges. I like to try and keep mine in the lower end of the range, but it depends on what you are after.

Yeah I always check the yeast manufacturers web site to check fermentation ranges. I like to try and keep mine in the lower end of the range, but it depends on what you are after.

Well I was after good beer. I hope there is not any funny off flavors because of this. :(

A lot of people miss this boat. I consider this one of the most important next to being sanitary when brewing as it directly affects the taste of the brew.

A lot of people miss this boat. I consider this one of the most important next to being sanitary when brewing as it directly affects the taste of the brew.

Well I try to pay attention to ferment temps, but did not know the variance in flavor based on this yeast in particular.

After reading about the yeast in the description via wyeast homepage, the higher range of this yeast can produce a slightly fruit ester, and the low end mimics more of a clean lager. (this makes sense being this was "the" pre lager beer)

I dropped it 5F today and it was still bubbling away tonight, so it is sitting at 60F. I might go ahead and drop a little lower tomorrow also.

Back