Music suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We have Spotify, and we listen to music all the time. But suddenly, I'm "out" of music ideas!

Can I have some input on new music (it can actually be old, if it's new to me!) that you guys can suggest?

We love alternative stuff (particularly Temple of the Dog, Mad Season) that's not really hard, we love Warren Haynes, and Bob has everything Neil Young ever did. Bob listens to Tom Waits with me, but he doesn't like it as much as I do. We have a ton of old stuff we like- Clapton's bluesy stuff, George Harrison, the aforementioned Neil Young anthology, etc. I listen to Pearl Jam just about every day, or Eddie Vedder's solo stuff.

We both hate country music, and Bob hates hip-hop and rap.

We listen to music at dinner, and I didn't realize that Spotify sent notices out to my facebook friends. I found a really good album of piano versions of 90 alternative stuff (Radiohead, Nirvana), and we played it for dinner. Apparently, Spotify sent a note to lschiavo saying "Yooper is rocking out to Dinner Piano Music".

He sent me an email saying that he didn't believe it. :D

Put in "The Devil Makes Three" and see if it tickles your fancy. Nice guitar work, at times with a Balkan/gypsy melody. Good energy.

I think my tastes run similar to your husbands although I do like to shake it up with deep purple, floyd and such. Heck I love megadeath, cash old music and new music.

I guess the only thing I do not like is the same thing over and over :D

His later music has kinda gone to **** and he himself has gone beyond overblown commercial but, older Jimmy Buffet is always nice to have around when everything else becomes 'dud'.

I've been listening to a lot of folk lately, namely Gregory Alan Isakov and Hip Hatchet. I know you said y'all don't like country but Townes Van Zandt is an insanely good singer songwriter. The Avett Brothers have some good tunes as well.

Try Captain Beefheart and/or Frank Zappa...

Others: Dave Matthews Band, Second Hand Blues, Popa Chubby and The Tigerlillies...

if you can find the right old punks in Vegas, you might be able to find a home recording of my old bands garage show. it was quite interesting for a listen.

Artist - Album:

Yo La Tengo - I can hear the heart beating as one
Ween - White Pepper
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin (personal fav)
Beck - Odelay
Cornelius - Point
The Pixies - Doolittle
Weezer - Raditude

I bet you and Bob would dig the Drive-By Truckers. Some real American Rock and Roll.

The best suggestion I have is to try not to "hate" any whole genre of music. You end up missing some gems. Besides, sometimes artists get pigeon holed into a genre that they don't really fit into like a glove.

Here's a hip-hop ish thing I enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to listen to Days of the New on Pandora when I get bored with my normal playlist. Get a little DOTN, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, etc.

I really like DOTN. Great chillin' music with great vocals and guitar.

I love bluegrass while brewing! And +2 to avett bros.

Check out Amos Lee for some real chill stuff to relax to.

I listen to some angry music, In Flames, We Came As Romans, All that Remains. The band Nightwish had a opera singer for most of their albums it is a odd combination but it is awesome!....well to me anyway.

Some of my "easy listening" is Three days Grace, Rise Against, Dead by April and Skillet. I hope you will take a listen you never know what you might like.

I listen to some angry music, In Flames, We Came As Romans, All that Remains. The band Nightwish had a opera singer for most of their albums it is a odd combination but it is awesome!....well to me anyway.

Some of my "easy listening" is Three days Grace, Rise Against, Dead by April and Skillet. I hope you will take a listen you never know what you might like.

so did Iron Maiden.

In the "alternative" vein: You might like The Dandy Warhols

Or Queens of the Stone Age

In a different vein: Hugh Laurie

Not sure if you'll like it, but one of my favs is Big John Bates & The Voodoo Dollz

Regards, GF.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh, we've listened to all of that, and we're pretty tired of Three Days Grace (although we like it). Bob doesn't like Skillet much, but I saw them at a Christian concert about 10-15(?) years ago, and liked them right away. I don't mind All that Remains, but my son listened to it for hours and hours when he still lived here, and between that and Rob Zombie, I'm NOT going back there! :p

We've listened to a ton of the Pixies, Weezer, Queens of the Stone Age, etc. We also do listen to Bela Fleck, and Townes Van Zandt occasionally!

Thanks for all the suggestions, and we started listening to some of it last night!

have you tried the related artists feature on spotify? great way to find similar music to artists you like

some recs:
Dawes - really great americana
Tame Impala - psychedelic rock with a 60's vibe
Wilco - one of my favorites, alt rock
Django Django - another psychedelic rock - one of my favorite albums of 2012
Dr. Johns latest album Locked Down is another one that got a ton of play from me - produced by Dan Auerbach of the black keys

I do Pandora.

If you like Tom Waits try Todd Snyder. I love them both. Both have awesome humor.

Mason Jennings, Josh Ritter, Hayes Carll.

All a little folkier than Pearl Jam, but should be right up your alley.

We listen to a lot of metal when we brew, but on our chill days it's always Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers. Really good southern/americana/I-have-no-idea-how-to-explain-it jams.

We have Spotify, and we listen to music all the time. But suddenly, I'm "out" of music ideas!

Can I have some input on new music (it can actually be old, if it's new to me!) that you guys can suggest?

We love alternative stuff (particularly Temple of the Dog, Mad Season) that's not really hard, we love Warren Haynes, and Bob has everything Neil Young ever did. Bob listens to Tom Waits with me, but he doesn't like it as much as I do. We have a ton of old stuff we like- Clapton's bluesy stuff, George Harrison, the aforementioned Neil Young anthology, etc. I listen to Pearl Jam just about every day, or Eddie Vedder's solo stuff.

We both hate country music, and Bob hates hip-hop and rap.

We listen to music at dinner, and I didn't realize that Spotify sent notices out to my facebook friends. I found a really good album of piano versions of 90 alternative stuff (Radiohead, Nirvana), and we played it for dinner. Apparently, Spotify sent a note to lschiavo saying "Yooper is rocking out to Dinner Piano Music".

He sent me an email saying that he didn't believe it. :D

Widespread Panic is perfect for any drinking occasion. great range. slow and mellow, load and rocking. If you like Warren Haynes then you probably already know this. Get into WSP they are the bomb!

+3 on the Avett Bros. +1 on Widespread Panic and my personal suggestion The Black Keys...a bit bluesy, a bit rock and a bit dark, no screaming or thrashing, just good solid guitar work and good song writing.

+3 on the Avett Bros. +1 on Widespread Panic and my personal suggestion The Black Keys...a bit bluesy, a bit rock and a bit dark, no screaming or thrashing, just good solid guitar work and good song writing.

Have to +1 on the Black Keys! Love them. My personal favorite is "The White Stripes" they have a lot of bluesy rock going on in some of their songs. Definitely unique in a good way! :rockin:

Latest posts

Back