Murphy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donutz

Reaction score
Apparently, Murphy's Law and I work together!!! I have officially brewed two batches of beer. One is fermenting and the other is in bottles conditioning. What I have found is that if I can find a way to do it wrong, I will!!! LOL. My first batch of beer: I went to put the airlock in and the gasket fell into the batch of beer... I didn't know of the importance of all of the sanitization (I knew a little about it...but not all that I read about), so I washed my hand and arm and went in after it!!! (Perhaps I should have sprayed my arm/hand down with star san!)... Now I know that before I snap the lid into place, to install the airlock. Everything seemed to go ok until I went to move the beer into the bottling bucket...I thought, wow..there is a lot of sediment... so I put a strainer on the top of the bucket and strained the sediment out and let the beer fall to the bottom of the bucket. Apparently, you should not let this happen and not introduce any oxygen. The capping seemed to go ok. That night, I decided to start beer batch #2. I guess when you are trying to bring beer to temp for boiling and you put LME in... you should constantly stir this!!! I had a nice black ring at the bottom of the bucket!!! Then, I couldn't get the wort to cool in time and had to go to bed for work in the morning. I didn't pitch the yeast until 24 hours later!!! HMMMMM,,, Maybe I should just stick with buying beer!!! Has anyone else gone through all of the stuff I have?!?!?
On top of that...I'm so paranoid about sterilizing everything...my kitchen becomes water world...err sterilizer world when I'm doing anything with the beer/Wort!!!

Haha...I loved this post... The best way to learn is to do it. You might make mistakes along the way but as long as you learn from them it's all good

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

love the post

write down all those mistakes and re read them a few times a year and I bet you become quite the brewer

we earn from our mistakes

I remember the 3rd beer I made I blew up a carboy, I felt like an idiot trying to explain to the wife why her kitchen had a sticky film all over the floor and bottom cabinets.

Never put hot wort in a glass carboy. I know that by heart.

PS, those of us in the Occupational Health and Safety field know that Murphy was an optimist. because if it can go wrong, it will.

Back