Munton's Hopped LME ; EBU Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gresc

Reaction score
Muntons seems to express bitterness in terms of EBU's. Does anyone know if there's a way to convert this to IBU or I"m I mixing apples and oranges ?

I am not sure, but I only used a hopped extract one time only.

I would say go ahead and use whatever recipe you got this time, and use unhopped extract until you get a chance to taste this one after it has been in the bottle a while.

Sorry, never heard of EBU before.

EBUs are European Bittering Units, to find the amount of hops required you use the formula

EBU × 10 × volume brewed in litres
----------------------------------------------- = Hops needed in grammes
alpha-acid × utilisation

As the malt is already hopped, you'll need to factor in the amount of EBUs in the extract to any hops that you add.

For our purposes, they are the same. IBU is the newer term & I think Munton's just uses EBU to be posh.

Thanks all; I should have mentioned that I was adding Munton's Hopped LME to Brewsmith software and wanted to be sure that I had the characteristics right.
I used hopped LME in an Irish Ale that came with a kit, I added a bunch of other ingredients and wanted to see what the overall IBU was.

Back