Munich dunkel turned into a sour brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jolopez1026

Reaction score
I brewed an all grain Munich dunkel based on jamils recipe back in October 2011. It was a good beer scored 38 at a local comp in so cal in dec. I ran out of keg space and let it sit at room temp for about 3 months, I tasted it for the first time since then last night, and it developed a Flanders red like sourness, to what was left of it. I've never brewed a sour or Brett beer, I can't think of anything that would have made it turn sour other than the temp, avg temp in those 3 months would be in low 60s. Any ideas ? I don't think the keg was infected, It would not have done good in the comp. The beer tastes great, if I had a decent amount of it is enter it as an oude brown, good sour cherry flavor

you just might have had a happy accident and stumbled upon a nice contaminating microbe (or several)! I would try to propogate some yeast from it and see if it can't be replicated!

Latest posts

Back