Munich/Amarillo SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orford

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I just got my hands on a pound of Amarillo and I have about 20# of Munich in the basement. I was thinking about a Munich/Amarillo SMaSH. Recipe looks something like this:

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 14 days @ 68.0°F
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ 74.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
13.00 lbs 100.00 % Briess Munich 10L 60 mins 1.035

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.50 ozs 12.50 Amarillo Gold 60 mins 8.50
1.50 ozs 18.62 Amarillo Gold 15 mins 8.50
2.00 ozs 9.97 Amarillo Gold 5 mins 8.50
1.00 ozs 0.00 Amarillo Gold 0 mins 8.50
3.00 ozs Amarillo Gold dry hop 8.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 tbsp Irish Moss 15 mins Boil

Mash Profile
Medium Body Infusion In 60 min @ 152.0°F
Add 16.25 qt ( 1.25 qt/lb ) water @ 166.0°F
Light Body Infusion Out 10 min @ 168.0°F
Add 9.75 qt ( 0.75 qt/lb ) water @ 200.0°F
Sparge
Sparge 8.16 qt of 170.0°F water over 10 mins

Thoughts?

Did you brew this? I'm thinking of doing Pilsner/Amarillo SMaSH. I personally haven't heard of too many folks using Munich in SMaSH, not to say it can't be done. I know I never have. Now Vienna as a base malt is pretty good.

I have not breed it yet, busy couple of weeks at work and such. I plan on doing so in the near future. I was actually thinking of splitting the batch in two and fermenting half with Steam Beer yeast and Denny's favorite 50. I love Munich as a grain so want to play around with it a bit more. I use it as a base in several different beers. Mind you I am talking about Munich 10, the lighter version.

Sorry for the delay. This beer came out awesome. First taste at legging was pretty awful and I was deeply concerned but in the end this was a fantastic beer. A slightly cools ferm temp would have been good as this was a bit too fruity. I can send out the recipe if people want.

I got great conversion; 85% extraction efficiency, OG 1.071 and FG 1.014.

Was this a 5 gallon batch? How big is your mash tun and how full was it with the mash in it?

I'm thinking about doing a smash with munich and chinook. I want it to sort of be a bourbon oaked strong/old ale sort of thing. I want a big beer I can age for a while. I brew 3-4 gallon biab batches as of now and to get an og of 1.090 i'd need 11 lbs of munich with a 120 minute boil! I'm in the process of making a mini mash tun but I'm not sure if it would hold 11 lbs of grain... I could do a partial mash with maybe 8 lbs of grain and add dme to bump up the og but idk. I'd rather do an all grain beer of this stature. I could go for a lower og and maybe dry it out with some honey or maple syrup. Any words of wisdom since you've done a high og smash like this before?

This was a 5.5 gallon batch. I currently use a 10 gallon homemade mash/lauter tun. I think for this batch it was ~2/3 full, maybe a bit less. The only time I have gotten really close to overfilling it was when I made a huge Imperial Stout.... I use batch sparging and get pretty solid efficiencies.

Why are you making a mini-mash tun instead of a bigger one? If you are constrained by volume I would suggest mashing as much grain as possible and then use LME to hit your OG target.

i was actually thinking about getting a larger kettle first. to get to 10g batches i was thinking of keeping my 10g mash tun and just doing double batches for high gravity beers. use the old kettle for hot liquor.

Back