Multiple Thin Scoby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey22

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Just finished my first batch of Kombucha and put them in my 2nd fermentation containers. The first batch fermented for about 8 days.

Around day 6 I tested the kombucha. After I set my container back the first scoby forming at the top fell to the bottom. In the next two days a very thin layer formed at the top again.

The blue circle is the first one that fell, the white circle is the really thin one that is kinda clumped up now, the red block is the starter scoby.

My question to everyone is: Is this okay? lol. I haven't been able to find information of multiple tiny scoby's forming and whether or not, /not/ having a thick one at the top is bad. Thanks guys!

Edit: If I want to remove the block that's in there, how many of these thin baby scoby's should I have?

6VfqPiO.jpg

Ihad that problem when I started. I was trying to set up a larger brewing container with a small scoby. The kombucha tasted fine and the scoby looked weak and vulnerable. Every time I tasted it (which was more often than I needed to) the scoby folded, contorted or sunk. Now, three week or so later, my scobys are thicker and less vulnerable when I taste test(less frequently).

YOu will get there....it is hard to be patient with new toys!!!

Jim

Definitely got development this week! Can someone let me know that this is okay?

I'm worried about that darker part along the top. Edit: Read that dark streaks are perfectly fine. Still curious about the below question.

Is it okay that this is puffed up? I think there is an air pocket between two scoby's.

Thanks!

20864505_1530720416989806_631164594_n.jpg

Burping scobys......

I have to burp my scoby once an airtight seal forns. The scoby fills the surface of the jar trapping the air. I just rise my hands with white vinegar and then press gently down on the scoby. This adds a bit my acidic kombucha above the scoby, releases the gas (probubly CO 2) and scoby life goes on.

It does disrupt the scoby but not a problem for the brew.

Back