Multi-pressure requlator or a Distribution bar (Opinions Please!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVBeerBaron

Reaction score
Hey Everybody!

I am changing my kegerator to handle corny kegs. I have four corny's, a 5lb CO2 tank, and a regulator. I was wondering what everyone's opinions was:

Is having the option to set different pressures important enough to buy a multi-pressure regulator or should I save money and buy a distribution bar/manifold???

I am also considering buying a new 20lb CO2 tank so I don't have to refill as often.

thanks for any help.

I have never been bothered by carbing and serving all of my beers at the same pressure. I als was a cheap-skate and didn't even buy a manifold. I just bought a few plastic T-shaped hosebarbs and split my gas line into a spider.

Here's my two pints. I recently bought a 20# tank and I have 3 cornies, and looking at running six eventually in my kegerator. My pipeline is up an running, so my plan is to run natural carbing in kegs versus force carbonation unless a special event calls for the beer to be ready sooner. I am going with a way distributor and saving some money beacause I will only be using my air for serving. If you are lookin to force carbonate (tank only) then you might want to look into multiple regulators to get the carb levels to style.
I have done natural carbing in my last three kegs and things have been great, except one belgium IPA was a little under carbed which I then used some gas to get it where is was supposed to be.
To the answer you were looking for, I feel that you should carb in the keg using the appropriate amount of sugars, then use your air distributor to serve at your preferred serving psi (mine is 9-11 psi). Your new 20# tank will last a really long time.
Just my two pints... :mug:

Ditto what all above said. I put tees in my gas lines... and, being the cheapskate that I am, I have picnic taps on all kegs that say inside the fridge.

For force carbing, I first refrigerate the keg to be carbed. Disconnect the kegs not to be carbed.. and attach the uncarbed one. I then crank the pressure up to 30 psi and shake that sucker. After doing this a few times, that keg will be pretty close to fully carbed. Then, I lower the pressure and hook it all up.

Well, that's what I'm planning to do anyway. :)

I run three pressures: soda (#35), regular (#12) and "real" (#2). Don't like my Bitters and Milds carbonated much, but flat IPAs are nasty.

Multi-pressure is a luxury. You can get away without it. You can also start with a few TEEs on the line for now and upgrade later if you think you want more carbonation variety later.

Back