Mr Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome. I too was going to recommend that thread. It's full of great tips and ideas to make great beer, including a primer I put in there for brewing All Grain with it.

You will find that a lot of folks got their first bite out of this hobby with the little brown jug. :mug:

I say combine the two LME's, purchase a 11g yeast packet that you think would make sense for the combined extracts, and see what happens. I'm not too far from where you are and in what I have experienced....to make it fun is to make it interesting. You can always buy more and start over. PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's one thing you'll find anyone that brews says.....Oh and get a hydrometer!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't push this any further. Using this tool is the best way to know fermentation is complete.

K5MOW, One other thing I could add would be to not follow the Mr. Beer directions when it comes to fermenting/bottle conditioning. Instead of 1 week each, try three weeks each. You will have "beer" after 2 weeks, but not that good. The extra time will help the yeast finish their job and give you better beer. The downside, you'll have to wait longer to drink it. That thread is full of great advice.

I just got a Mr. Beer, and am brewing my first batch. I think a 5 gallon starter kit would give me a better shot at making a better beer than the mr beer kit. I will soon upgrade

I think a 5 gallon starter kit would give me a better shot at making a better beer than the mr beer kit. I will soon upgrade

All a five gallon starter kit will allow you to do, is to make 5 gallons of beer.

It's really not the gear, or the method that makes the best beer, it's the brewer, and his process. A skilled brewer can make award winning beers with a mr beer kit. There have been a few on here who won categories is BJCP contests. If you look at the tips mentioned throught the forum and especially the above mentioned thread, you will make great beer regardless of whether or not it is in a 5 gallon batch or a 2-2.5 gallon batch in the little brown jug.

Whether it is good or crap has nothing to do with whether it was done as a mr beer, or a 15 gallon batch on a herms system. Or whether or not it was extract or all grain. Just the skill of the brewer.

I've choked down plenty of crappy AG beer that was done in 5 gallon starter kits, or on fancy systems. And tasted some really great mr beer beer, done by a skilled brewer......

I have Mr Beer kit but have not used it in a couple of months. My only recommendation is to use an all LME kit and dont rely on their booster. It works but it seems to me to thin out the beer too much. I did have an English Nut Brown made with the Booster pack that is pretty good, actually enjoying a couple of those as we speak.

Whether it is good or crap has nothing to do with whether it was done as a mr beer, or a 15 gallon batch on a herms system. Or whether or not it was extract or all grain. Just the skill of the brewer.

I've choked down plenty of crappy AG beer that was done in 5 gallon starter kits, or on fancy systems. And tasted some really great mr beer beer, done by a skilled brewer......

Right on. I am reminded of a homebrew contest not so long ago. My wife and I were talking to a fellow who went on and on about his $20,000 (!) setup. Now, this can become an all-consuming hobby, but 20K? How is that possible?

Anyway, no awards for him, and we won multiple medals with our beat up keggle, 10 gal cooler mash tun, homemade immersion chiller setup. Good beer doesn't just happen! It takes work, patience, and love. Kind of like anything else that's worth doing.

All a five gallon starter kit will allow you to do, is to make 5 gallons of beer.

It's really not the gear, or the method that makes the best beer, it's the brewer, and his process. A skilled brewer can make award winning beers with a mr beer kit. There have been a few on here who won categories is BJCP contests. If you look at the tips mentioned throught the forum and especially the above mentioned thread, you will make great beer regardless of whether or not it is in a 5 gallon batch or a 2-2.5 gallon batch in the little brown jug.

Sure, but five gallons is not much more work than 2.5..10 is not much more than 5. But we all start somewhere. I started with can and kilo kits (no awards for that.)

I started brewing beer last year when I got a mr beer kit for Christmas. I made my first batch by following the instructions step by step. the next batch I tried a few things I read about on this sit. I visited my local homebrew shop before the third batch that came with the kit and it was great. One year and plenty of money and batches behind me it is completely my new and favorite hobby.

I was speaking more towards the ingredients and yeast that are included with the Mr. Beer

I almost got a Mr. Beer for Christmas, but ended up getting a kit from my LHBS. Either way at least more folks are getting into the hobby and in the end I think that's all that matters. Have fun with it and here's to making some great brews in the near future. :tank:

Back