Mr Beer offering partial mash kits!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
This is pretty cool for the MR Beer kitters out there

http://www.mrbeer.com/refills/recipes/partial-mash-recipes

They now offer partial mash recipe kits! only thing that might be the downfall is grain going stale if they do this as a kit for a beer shop / bed bath and beyond / target, etc. Unless they vaccum seal them, might be a better option? but i thought it was a cool thing.

I like that they're doing this, though I wonder whether it will work for them. They are presumably trying not to keep their customers from graduating beyond Mr Beer.

Looking at just a couple of those kits, someone is confusing (or trying to confuse) extract w/ specialty grains for partial mashing.

Not to take away from this - because it sure sounds like a step forward for Mr Beer kits - but partial mashing implies an actual mash, and an actual mash requires base malts. All I saw on the handful of those I peeked at is specialty steeping malts.

Like I said, it should be a step forward in quality for Mr Beer kits, but folks trying these and thinking they're doing a partial mash may be in for a surprise if they decide to pick up a non-Mr Beer partial mash kit...

I think it's cool, maybe it will get some of the MR Beer haters to STFU about them.

It will be interesting to see if they eventually offer totally all grain BIAB kits....and how soon.

I guess being bought out by coopers may be a good thing.

I've wondered how much Brooklyn Brew Works 1 gallon AG kits cut into their "starting in the hobby" business. They seem to have penetrated into the same non LHBS/ Big Box store market that the lil brown jug has.

The one I looked at uses Pilsen malt and says hold it at 155-165 for 30 minutes. So that's not a specialty grain, albeit not a particularly punctilious mash.

I've wondered how much Brooklyn Brew Works 1 gallon AG kits cut into their "starting in the hobby" business. They seem to have penetrated into the same non LHBS/ Big Box store market that the lil brown jug has.

I'd be surprised if it didn't, although sometimes a company is already thinking about doing something new when the competition hits (I'm guessing a couple years' development for Mr Beer on these new kits, from idea to market).

The one I looked at uses Pilsen malt and says hold it at 155-165 for 30 minutes. So that's not a specialty grain, albeit not a particularly punctilious mash.

At least that's a diastatic malt...one of the recipes I randomly selected had 3-4 specialty grains, but I could not recall if any of them converted the other..there was no Two-row in it...

I bought 10 of the BBS mixes last January at Meijer (a local super store) for $7 a pop as they were Xmas clearance. While they weren't the best brews, they were fun kits to experiment with.

What I will say about BBS is that the recipes in the 2 books they've put out are pretty solid. I've done a handful of them, and was quite pleased.

I bought 10 of the BBS mixes last January at Meijer (a local super store) for $7 a pop as they were Xmas clearance. While they weren't the best brews, they were fun kits to experiment with.

What I will say about BBS is that the recipes in the 2 books they've put out are pretty solid. I've done a handful of them, and was quite pleased.

Did they come with the gallon jugs and everything? Or just the grain/hops/yeast? Either way that's a cool price. But if it came with the jug and the airlock/siphon that's great.

Did they come with the gallon jugs and everything? Or just the grain/hops/yeast? Either way that's a cool price. But if it came with the jug and the airlock/siphon that's great.

I want to say I paid $20 each for the 2 that also included the jug, airlock, racking cane...

That sounds great. I've made a few of the BBS recipes and I've bought both of their books. While I haven't made any of the recipes in the books yet, I'm glad they turn out pretty good. Did you use the maple syrup and other sweeteners they listed for bottle priming or just regular table sugar? When I made the recipes I just used sugar so I was wondering if there's actually a difference.

Did you use the maple syrup and other sweeteners they listed for bottle priming or just regular table sugar? When I made the recipes I just used sugar so I was wondering if there's actually a difference.

In using maple syrup and honey, I over carbed, resulting in one batch of bottle bombs and 2 batches of drinkable gushers.

After switching over to priming sugar, I haven't had any problems.

That sounds great. I've made a few of the BBS recipes and I've bought both of their books. While I haven't made any of the recipes in the books yet, I'm glad they turn out pretty good. Did you use the maple syrup and other sweeteners they listed for bottle priming or just regular table sugar? When I made the recipes I just used sugar so I was wondering if there's actually a difference.

In using maple syrup and honey, I over carbed, resulting in one batch of bottle bombs and 2 batches of drinkable gushers.

EDIT: Missed the honey...Yeah, WAY too much sugars..no wonder you had bottle bombs and gushers..lol...:p

When I brewed the Chocolate Maple Porter I used the maple syrup as per the instructions and bottles were carbed to perfection..Though I did make one mod to the priming solution in that I also added a tablespoon of cocoa powder, giving it a bit more chocolate flavor with a hint of maple in the after taste..

Back on topic, I ordered and have received their first offering PM kit the Sir Kenneth Blonde Ale..Am thinking of brewing it up tonight..

I have info on how to calculate the right amount to use with "alternative" sugars including candies in this post on the bottling stickey.

Back