Mr. Beer cider concentrate kits experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeeJo

Reaction score
Wife picked up a two gallon kit out of the clearance bin and brought it home for me...Archer's Orchard, is the name on the label, tthe fine print shows it to be from Coopers.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a pouch of US-04 tucked into the package, along with a pouch of No-Rinse cleanser powder. The date on the yeast pack is Nov 2015, so I doubt it is so far gone as to be useless.

Anyone willing to fess up as to their experiences with the stuff?

Not sure what the end result is supposed to taste like. Soda-pop cider, or does it come out more like a natural one?

Anyone?

TeeJo

Nobody?

Or just not gonna fess up to it? :)

TeeJo

I have only heard secondhand that it does not make an Angry Orchard/Woodchucks style cider, it's drier than those. Of course, I've never had one, so take this as it comes.

I just hope she didn't spend more than what a couple of gallons of apple juice cost. MrB stuff is already expensive, and the cider kits are even more so.

*EDIT* Here's a thread on the MrB forum about their cider. Read down from there and you can see that the MrB guy himself likes to "dress up" his cider kits, using juice instead of water.

http://community.mrbeer.com/topic/34098-hard-cider-brewing/#entry422070

:)

Last edited:
$2.50, Canadian Pesos, per 2 gallon kit worth. Not getting apple juice for that here without picking it on the roadside out of abandoned orchards.
And as much fun as that can be, the gas costs DO add up!

Uhhhh....gonna say there's not a bunch at stake here. Have found older yeast in retail shelves for full price (hey, gotta take what you can get livin in the sticks some times!), so really, about half price for some older yeast, if nothing useful comes from it.

Appreciate the link that tells roughly what the stuff is supposed to come out like. That's really great news.

I had seen the MrB site and the various recipes and some look quite interesting, though no doubt can be made a LOT cheaper if you scrounge up the ingredients or their rough equivalents.

I cracked the lid on one of the concentrate bottles, and it smells more malty than apple-ey, if that makes any sense.

Thanks!

TeeJo

Back