Mr Beer brewing ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Countryboy73

Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd brew of beer, but my 3rd brew altogether. I'm brewing the Deluxe American Ale. It's been 2 weeks now and there is no activity, It's time to bottle. My first brew was hazy when I bottled it. This brew is clear, is that going to affect it on carbonation. Will I need it add more yeast to it. The starting gravity was 1.038 and now 1.011 with no activity. The first week I thought it was going to bubble over. Then there was very little activity and very little bit of haze.

Sound like high fermentation temperature and under pitching.

when you rack to the bottling bucket it will pick up enough yeast. You don't need to add more. Most craft bottle conditioned beers only have 1 million cells per ml.

Ok thanks.
When I started I used a little bit of warm water and a little bit of sugar, let the sugar desolve then added the yeast. Let that sit for bout an hour, or till I finished prepping and getting everything set up. When everything was in the keg I poured in the yeast. The water was still a little warm but I didn't think it was to warm. During fermentation the temp was between 67 and 77 deg.
What do I need to do different on my next brew. My next brew will be an Oktoberfest lager then a st pats stout.

During fermentation the temp was between 67 and 77 deg.
Keeping the temperature 60-65 is best for most ales. Over 65 yeast will add a noticeable amount of esters. These can be good for some styles, but for most it just tastes off. A water bath can help immensely in keeping the temperature under control.

See here for details:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/09/swamp-cooler.html

If you can't get the temperature down to 65 then perhaps a Saison would be a good style to try.

How much yeast did you pitch? Is this a 5 gallon(19 liter) batch?

Ok thanks for the info.
It's a 2.5 gallon batch. I use the Mr beer keg. I use the packet that comes with the refill kits.

Back