Moving & Transporting Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I'm going to be moving in a few days and I have a 1/2 keg of refrigerated IPA left.

In order to properly transport to my new place (1 hour away), should I release the preassure in the keg or just simply disconnnect the gas and beverage lines and transport?

Any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Just disconnect. Do not vent. Venting could possibly allow air in and all that agitation that I'm sure will happen on the drive would mix in the oxygen.

When you get the keg over there, put it back into your system to cool it back down. Then reconnect your gas. Give it a few days to settle down so the dregs settle out and the carbonation stabilizes again before you try to drink it.

I just moved about 3 hours away and the beer travelled fine.

Just disconnect and transport. When you get it where you want it, you'll probably want the keg to sit for a couple days, for the sediment to settle again. Don't release any pressure though, that will just cause the beer to lose CO2.
Corny's are rated pretty high for pressure, you won't have any issues as far as that goes.

Just disconnect. Do not vent. Venting could possibly allow air in and all that agitation that I'm sure will happen on the drive would mix in the oxygen.

When you get the keg over there, put it back into your system to cool it back down. Then reconnect your gas. Give it a few days to settle down so the dregs settle out and the carbonation stabilizes again before you try to drink it.

I just moved about 3 hours away and the beer travelled fine.

Beat me to the punch, perfect response.

Clonefan94 said:
Corny's are rated pretty high for pressure, you won't have any issues as far as that goes.

Yup. I calculated how much the pressure would rise going from 2.5 volumes at 40 F to "ambient". I don't remember what it was exactly but it was no where close to the 100+ psi they are rated for.

Back