Moving to produce 25GL size batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McboBrewer

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm thinking to move from 5GL batch size system we commonly use, to a bigger 25 GL. Any advice? How should my starters be done?

Thank u all.

I would look to brewing software or Mr malty for the answer to your starter question.

How are you going to boil that much wort? / Can I be your neighbor?

dawgmatic said:
I would look to brewing software or Mr malty for the answer to your starter question.

How are you going to boil that much wort? / Can I be your neighbor?

Thanks for your advise on software.
For boiling I'm thinking just a big pot and a big burner. In fact I'm thinking to buy one the morebeer.com beer sculptures for 25GL.

About being my neighbor... If you like to move to Venezuela I guess you can ;) jeje.

I would imagine you would need to upgrade most of your equipment, I recently moved from 10 gallon to 20 gallon somewhat easily.

I currently have a three keggle brewing stand and brewed by filling all up with 45 gallons of strike water (only used about 35 gallons in the end), mashed into a 120 QT cooler, and then used two full kegs to boil approx 26 gallons.

Cooling with a plate chiller and lots of ice was pretty easy, into 4 six gallon carboys standing by.

Much easier than trying to brew two different beers back to back or at the same time on my system, only added about an hour to my brew day.

Boil in 2 separated kegs, ferment into 4 separated carboys! Never though that!
Thanks for the advise.

I still have to many doubts about pitching.

I was going to say that you'd be legally limited to brewing 8 times per year, but if you're in Venezuela, maybe not. If you do make 25 Gal, you should--strictly for my benefit--split your batches 5 ways to test out yeasts, dry-hopping, oaking, etc...

Here is the money shot of our 20 gallon wheat brew day- one of us manning the chiller and ice cooler as it was pumped through the chiller while I attempted to split everything evenly into the carboys.

I went against my normal yeast practices and just pitched us-05 dry pack into each carboy... I don't have a method for a starter that huge!

I do like the idea of the 5 gallon batch yeast cake... If you can time it right, keg your five gallon batch and immediately swirl and pitch onto your big batch. I might try that if I can plan right next 20 gal batch!

The wheat is going to be kegged and 3 of 4 kegs will have fruit flavor added, making a total of four different wheats off one big batch.

image-1607345398.jpg

In the summer, it is too hard for me to run my 30 gallon conical without going over temp, so I take a 5 gallon fermenters cake, and fill it half full of fresh wort. Then I divide that equally amongst the other fermenters. I then fill fresh wort into all the fermenters. Works just fine for me.
I am adding a picture of my fermentation fridge, its a little dark but there is a 10g Corney, with a 7.5 g pail on the top shelf, and 2 6.5g pails on the bottom shelf. Stays at 48 deg thanks to the johnson controller.

ferm fridge.jpg

Latest posts

Back