Moving to ambient after first week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rybarnes

Reaction score
I just built a new eBIAB system, so I've stepped up from doing 1 gallon batches in a small thermos mash tun, to two gallon batches. The problem is, I've got room for 2 gallons in my fermentation chamber (small mini fridge with temp controller) So, now instead of being able to do a batch a week, cycling each batch every 14 days into bottles, I've run out of room. If I move the batch that is about a week into fermentation into ambient temp of around 68F, would I run into any issues with weird fermentation off flavors? It seems like most of the primary busy fermentation is done by that point, so there is only the slow last few points of gravity to eat up.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

[...]If I move the batch that is about a week into fermentation into ambient temp of around 68F, would I run into any issues with weird fermentation off flavors? [...]

As long as you're dealing with ale yeast, not only should that not be a problem, I always raise the beer temperature on my fermentations to ~68°F - usually five days post-pitch - for the "clean-up" phase, and in preparation for dry-hopping...

Cheers!

Back