Moving Sour Beers off of Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSkypala

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a dark sour that I brewed last November, in January I racked it to another 6.5 gallon carboy on several pounds of frozen sour cherries I had picked up over the summer. I used a 6.5 gallon to account for the displacement from the whole cherries.

At this point the beer has been on the cherries over 7 months but probably still needs at least another 4 or 5 months of aging. I would like to free up the 6.5 gallon carboy for some primary ferments. Should I be concerned about losing some of the contribution from the cherries if I rack the beer to a 5-gallon carboy for aging (and away from the fruit)?

Thanks for your input.

RJ

Yes and no. you might lose a little bit, but not that much. 7 months is a long time to have it on fruit, so its gotten all the cherry flavor its going to get. Next time you might want to wait until the beer is nearly ready before you add fruit?

Back