Moving on and up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGHunter

Reaction score
Hi! So I've been brewing for a while now, about ten years, with kits. I started all grain last year, I did a couple clones and, whilst I don't want to sound like I'm blaming my kit, it isn't great and I know I can do better with more precise equipment (I was told I wouldn't need a grain bag due to the the false bottom, but it doesn't sit on anything, and it slipped with the grain falling underneath and toasting on the element. Needless to say it actually ended up nicer than the mass produced ale I was trying to clone!) so today I've ordered the Brewzilla 30L. I've been bottling but I'm looking to get a couple small kegs because I want to do small experimental batches, about 10L split in half with a control (recipe) and variable (experiment). Eventually I want to do this professionally and I've been applying for positions in breweries (currently waiting to hear back on an apprenticeship in fact).

I'll drink most things as long as they taste of beer, so if a beer has additions I only like them if they're secondary to hops and malt.

can do better with more precise equipment

Welcome to the community! Better equipment doesn't necessarily mean better beer. It's all about the process.

We see it far too often on this forum where someone with little experience buys expensive equipment and months later equipment is being sold.

What type of mash tun were you using with false bottom that didn't lie flat?

Welcome to the community! Better equipment doesn't necessarily mean better beer. It's all about the process.

We see it far too often on this forum where someone with little experience buys expensive equipment and months later equipment is being sold.

What type of mash tun were you using with false bottom that didn't lie flat?
No I know that, but no matter how much you improve, you can't make a silk purse with a sow's ear. But I appreciate your concern.

It is a pico EB1. It just relies on the fact that the bin reduces in diameter to "wedge" into place.

No I know that, but no matter how much you improve, you can't make a silk purse with a sow's ear. But I appreciate your concern.

Many here would disagree, especially me. I made award winning brews with my igloo cooler mash tun and ale pale buckets.

My point is just because you're getting shinning new equipment doesn't mean that your beers are automatically going to improve.

Improvement comes with dialing in your process, excellent fermentation practices and then minimizing oxygen exposure for packaging.

Better equipment does help. I use a Chillzilla counterflow chiller as a modified HERMs. Mash temp is the # 1 control that you need to get right for a particular beer.

Welcome to the forum! I think we can all agree that shiny new toys are fun. If it gets you brewing more and gets you more involved with your brewing, better beer will follow.

I see it's that kind of forum. I didn't ask for your advice. Never mind, this was a mistake if you're indicative of the membership.

Well if you didn't want advice/comment then why post?

I'm not trying to burst your bubble here just being honest and having 10 years brewing experience I'd like to think im helping more than hurting.

I think the point that @Sammy86 was trying to make is that it is the Brewer more then the equipment thatⁿ⁹ plays a major factor in beer quality.
We have had some guys just starting to brew and the first or second batch they have ever made is in all new shiny equipment where they cannot see what is happening. They have no real idea of what is going wrong with their beer.
I believe your first Kit reference is the beer ingredients kit. Am I correct in the later reference for Kit it is in reference to equipment (not recipe kit)and it is of questionable quality and accuracy?

Congrats on the brewzilla, it, like my anvil, will make it easier to control the mash and the boil.

I see it's that kind of forum. I didn't ask for your advice. Never mind, this was a mistake if you're indicative of the membership.

It's a forum full of people that genuinely want to help make everyone better brewers. Sometimes the message comes across in a way you don't expect, but you have to spend a little time.

you can't make a silk purse with a sow's ear.

you can make a leather purse though? ;) maybe not a nitro pour, or LoDo(hemp i guess?)...but still pretty nice....
Well if you didn't want advice/comment then why post?

this is the introductory forum....my take away @JGHunter has been brewing for 10 years, extract batches, just got into all grain, and is applying at breweries for an apprenticship... he's looking for a proffessional mentor, and we're just some goof ball amatuers to shoot the **** with?

at least that's what i think now?

@JGHunter if you just want to hang out with home brewers, as do i, our safe zone is general chit chat, and drunken rambling....

Back