Moving Kegs After Fining?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler.W

Reaction score
I have read that once you add a fining agent to a keg it should not be moved. Unfortunately, my setup does not allow me to not move the kegs around. Part of me would love to fine my beers, but I am not sure if it would be beneficial since I have to move them around a few times before they kick. What are your experiences with this?

Absolutely you can move them after fining and cold crashing. You will just need to let them sit in the kegerator on the gas for a few days to let them settle back out. I have done this with good results in the past before I added more keg space.

I’m addition- look into purchasing a floating dip tube. They work wonders for my beer and cider.
Since they draw liquid from the top, it’ll give the beer some time to clear as you drink.

I was thinking about floating dip tubes, but I do a keg-purging fermentation (keg filled with StarSan and pushed out with fermentation CO2) and I feel like there's a chance the dip-tube doesn't fall to the bottom and push out all the sanitizer. Do you ever have issues with your floating dip tubes?

No but I have read in this forum about some of the knock offs not working great. I bit the bullet and bought the clear beer system. A little more spendy but they’ve been well worth it.
When I push starsan through it, I’ll hold the keg upside down and open the prv. Only a tablespoon or two comes out. I’m sure a little O2 gets in but not enough for me to worry.

Back