Moving in June

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoshin

Shoshin Picobrewery
Reaction score
Hi all, I have some nugget rhizomes that I planted last year in large plastic pots. They grew vines about 10' long last year, and they just started vigorous growth again a week or two ago. I have one vine bine that is already a foot long. I'm moving from Sacramento to Baltimore in June, and I want to move my hops too. I'm guessing that I won't get a harvest between now and then, so I was thinking of not pruning back any bines, letting it do it's thing, pruning back the bines right before we move, and packing the planters in a heavy duty black garden bag for the move, with the thinking that this will give the roots a chance to store a bunch of energy, hoping they'll come back strong next year. The hops will be going into a Pod with the rest of my crap, arriving in Bmore 9 days later. There's no chance I'll get a harvest before June 15th if I prune back the weaker bines, is there? What are the chances the roots will make it to thrive next year?

I think you'll be able to transplant your hops with a high degree of success. As for any harvest, I'd set my expectations low and consider any yield a true bonus if it happens. Which it very well could...

Cheers!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it! I've been idly searching and I've already found a few neat-looking stores and clubs in the area. Are you a member of any homebrew clubs? Nepenthe looks like a nice store, I'm eager to visit it. Any tips for brewing or networking in the area?

I'm not a member of any club. Herself & I did the "Buy a house & move in together" thing so I've not had a chance to really get out & away yet.

Baltibrew is the major one here & I'll be joining it in a wee bit.

Nepenthe is a nice place. I've posted my thoughts about it elsewhere in the forum, but the short note is:
Nice, knowledgeable people. Decent selection. Competitive prices. Excellent customer service.

I give them my money.

Tips for brewing? Great ghu, no. I'm still a n00b. Only been brewing for 4 years, so I don't profess to have the answers.

Well actually, one thing I can say. Baltimore city water is actually quite nice for brewing. Good pH level & they don't use chloramine in it.

So, so far, I like Baltimore :) It's quite similar in many ways to my hometown, Philadelphia. Funny thing is, when I first got here, I called up the city water department to ask if they used either chlorine or chloramine in their water treatment, just to make sure (they have 5 separate treatment facilities, each with their own approach, so I called to ask about the facility that serves my house). Long time wait, no reply, so I ask the guy at Nepenthe. He says "yeah, they use chloramine, especially after heavy rains, which is a p.i.a., so I personally use distilled water with salts to get the right profile" .. two days later, an engineer from the water department replies to my original email to say they categorically Do Not use chloramine. So, I brewed a blonde ale with tap water, figuring that a) it would have nothing to hide behind, and if there was chlorine or chloramine in the water, it would shine through like diamonds, and b) it wouldn't take long to ferment and condition, and I would know rather quickly whether there were chemicals in the water.

Well, the blonde ale is now called "Poolside Blonde" because it has so much chlorine taste in it that I can't drink it. I kept a sixer just to see if this taste would ever age out. 6 months later, it hasn't. After that, I bought a whirlpool whole-house in-line water filter, with a 4 micron filter (rated to remove chlorine ... Does it also remove chloramine?) and I filtered the water for the next few batches. Those batches: no chlorine taste. I can't say definitively that I know exactly what's going on, but my guess is that there is some chlorine-based additive .. is this chlorine? is this chloramine? not sure, but I'm going to filter my water from now on. I bet I'll have to consider modifying my water chemistry in the future to tune-in beers (stouts and/or ipas) but we'll see what happens

any thoughts or other experience would be welcome!!

cheers!

Back