moving hot wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Packman715

Reaction score
Be careful when moving hot wort even a small splash can cause a bad burn.

Attachments

• IMAG0761.jpg
    IMAG0761.jpg
    795.7 KB · Views: 199
Looks extra hoppy! :D

In all seriousness, get well soon and thanks for the heads up.

Ouch! Hope it heels soon.

If anyone gets a serious burn like this from hot liquid, metal, flame, etc., it really helps to immediately hit the area with ice. Better yet, cold spray (topical skin refrigerant) if you have access to it in a first aid kit. Keep it on the area until you feel uncomfortably cold. Please note: I'm not a medical expert. I just took a few welding burns in the past and doing this really seems to minimize the extent of burn injuries.

I have changed how I cool since this happened and yes cold water and or Ice is the right thing to do (confirmed by docs). If you get a bad burn seek medical attention they have training and supplies we don't. DO IT RIGHT AFTER BURN. Don't be a tough guy like I tried to be. my scar is going to be worse because I waited two days to see a Doc. I just got back from the Doc and he said everything is healing good and to keep wrapping and using the meds given.

All of the sugar in hot wort definitely make it very prone to causing bad burns. It is very sticky and all of that solid mater will just sit there and continue to burn you. Cold running water is most certainly the best course of action, in your case jumping into the bathtub and running the faucet on full would have been helpful as getting ones leg in a sink would be quite difficult. Also not a medical professional, but raised by a nurse and also accident prone. Very glad it is healing well

That's very gnarly, sir. I've always had that last minute though as I'm moving my large boiling pot to cool...."what if this handle breaks or slips out of my hand?"

Get better soon. Put some alcohol on it. Not topical...only amateurs do that. You have to apply alcohol from the inside... about 12 oz at a time should do the trick.

It isn't helpful to put ice on burns. Could cause frostbite.

Goog god, man! What next?!? You gonna tell me that if somebody is on fire I should not try to extinguish the flames with a shotgun? Thanks, Doogie Howser, but I think I've got it from here.

This is why I recently bought a pump to move hot liquids. I always did it by lifting and pouring before.

I hope you recover quickly and completely.

Damn. Makes me wonder about the dude that got scalded at the Trillium brewery a week or so back.
Supposedly 1st and 2nd degree burns over 80% of his body - which if it looks anything like that has to be life-threatening...

On a related note.... our local brewery hosted our brew club last month. The head brewer emphasized the importance of using Fermtabs in the boil to prevent the dreaded boil-over. No impact on taste, but preventing a batch of wort from becoming an explosive lava mess is key.

I've had one boil-over in 15 years and it was my own fault.
Headroom and attention obviate the need for anti-foam agents.
And a good, mounted thermometer calibrated at boiling temperature provides plenty of warning...

Cheers!

Goog god, man! What next?!? You gonna tell me that if somebody is on fire I should not try to extinguish the flames with a shotgun? Thanks, Doogie Howser, but I think I've got it from here.

Research also shows that using just ice gets about the same results as doing nothing. Cold running water is best. I suppose if we relate it to brewing. What chills faster? Sticking a pot of wort in ice or using an immersion chiller?

Research also shows that using just ice gets about the same results as doing nothing. Cold running water is best. I suppose if we relate it to brewing. What chills faster? Sticking a pot of wort in ice or using an immersion chiller?
You seen the movie "The Day After Tomorrow"? After my boil is complete I just set it in the path of the eye of the storm. Chilled in 0.003 seconds.

Back