Moving from 10 to 15 gal pot. Any uses for 10?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZmannR2

Reaction score
When I upgrade to a 15 gal pot from my 10 in order to make 10 gal batches BIAB style, is there anything useful I can use the 10 for? Or should I just sell it?

Maybe as a hot liquor tank? Pump 170 degree water over my freshly lifted bag thru a sparge arm?

I say keep it for 5g batches and you might think about 20g kettle for 10g batches.

Just rough numbers
11g into fermenter
.5g left in kettle
1g boil off
1g grain absorbtion

Thats only 1.5g of space for the grain.

You can also use the 10g for a dunk sparge if you do get the 15g.

I use my old pot for collecting my milled grains. My old 8 gallon aluminum pot holds enough grain for a 10 gallon batch of 4-6%abv beer.

I say keep it for 5g batches and you might think about 20g kettle for 10g batches.

Just rough numbers
11g into fermenter
.5g left in kettle
1g boil off
1g grain absorbtion

Thats only 1.5g of space for the grain.

You can also use the 10g for a dunk sparge if you do get the 15g.

X2 How do you plan on doing 10 gallon brews BIAB in a 15 gallon kettle?

I have both pots, same size as you. I brew in the 10g and use the 15g for sparge water, and as a bath for cooling. When cooling the 10g goes in the 15g pot and the outlet hose from the IC refreshes the water in the 15g constantly. If I brew something big then I might boil in the 15g instead but overall I much prefer the 10g for 6g (into the ferment or) batches.

Back