Moving fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLC030

Reaction score
I have been waiting to do my first brew because I might be moving(across town or across the state) How bad would it be if I transported the beer while it is fermenting?

as long as its fermenting all the O2 should be all out of the fermenter. I would say your fine, just watch that the liquid in the airlock doesnt all fall out into your fermenter and you have no barrier between your wort and air

as long as its fermenting all the O2 should be all out of the fermenter. I would say your fine, just watch that the liquid in the airlock doesnt all fall out into your fermenter and you have no barrier between your wort and air

+1 Just keep something in the air lock like vodka, and under no circumstance let it break or tip over.

I've actually done this before-- Strapped it into the seatbelt really tight against my seat and went through Spaghetti Junction in Atlanta with it. No problems-- beer turned out pretty fantastic.

I've actually done this before-- Strapped it into the seatbelt really tight against my seat and went through Spaghetti Junction in Atlanta with it. No problems-- beer turned out pretty fantastic.

Lol. Imagine if you got pulled over. Does that qualify as an open container. "No sir I do not have any alcohol in my vehicle". It just opens up all kinds of funny posibilities.

driving thru spagehtti junction with 5 gallons of beer in the car and none of it spilling?...must be a smooth ride....if u did it on 400 that would be skills ;)

I've done it with Apfelwein. I only had a 10 minute drive, and just made sure I didn't make any sudden starts and stops. Like Steveorino, I strapped it down with a seatbelt in the front seat. I left the airlock on, but covered it with a sheet to make it a little bit more incognito.

Back