Moving Beer From Lagering Temps to Room Temps - Making Room For Another Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lashack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 fermentation chambers that are both occupied with two different beers. I really would like to brew another batch of beer and use one of the two chambers to temperature control the new batch (something fast fermenting, no cold crash needed). Currently, my fermentation chambers are occupied by the following beers:

Belgian Golden Strong Ale
  • Ferment for 12 days
  • Room temp condition for 20 days
  • Currently lagering at 45F for 7 days
Oktoberfest
  • Ferment for 8 days
  • Currently lagering at 45F for 17 days

My general question is, can I remove a beer that has been lagering at colder temps for a couple of weeks (to ferment a new batch), then return back to the larger temps. Will these major swings in temperatures cause issues? I think I would be safe moving the Belgian Golden Strong Ale to room temps and use that chamber. The Oktoberfest needs more time lagering but I wanted to hear ya'lls thought on or if you've "made room" like this in the past.

Thoughts?

You could, but I wouldn't. If I'm lagering, I'm lagering because I want it lagered. In your situation, I would just brew a beer that likes to ferment at room temps. Perfect time to experiment with Voss Kveik.

Thoughts?

I don't tend to brew real lagers, so I cannot comment much on the Oktoberfest.

Do you plan to bottle or keg the Golden Strong Ale? For the Golden Strong Ale I personally would either bottle it after the 20 days of room temp, then start any conditioning once it is carbonated. If I was kegging, I would let it "lager" in the keg. If you are trying to clear the beer, you could try a 24 hour cold crash near freezing temps, then package.

My plan was to let the BGSA "lager" at the colder temps until it's ready to keg, which is going to be in another 4 weeks. If I did have an open keg I would use it to "age/lager" in the keg. I might just need to wait until a keg opens up so I can keep the BGSA at cold temps and not let it get back to room temp. That's sorta the consensus I'm hearing from both posts.

Lots and lots of bottle shops store beer at room temperature until you buy them and take them home. A couple weeks will likely not have too great an impact on your beers, it will just mildly speed up aging process that would be happening even at lager temps. Is it ideal? No. Will it make your beers drain sacrifices. Highly unlikely.

My plan was to let the BGSA "lager" at the colder temps until it's ready to keg, which is going to be in another 4 weeks. If I did have an open keg I would use it to "age/lager" in the keg. I might just need to wait until a keg opens up so I can keep the BGSA at cold temps and not let it get back to room temp. That's sorta the consensus I'm hearing from both posts.

Warm storage will accelerate the aging process a bit. I'd have packaged both of those and had the kegs in my serving fridge already. They can clear up just fine in there while also finishing carbonation. If you've got no extra kegs and want to brew again, move the Belgian to room temp for a bit, especially if it's already cleared up a lot (also save up and get some more kegs! :D ).

I would use a swamp cooler or something like that to control the ferm temps of your new brew.
Only needs about a week of tighter temp control, then let condition at regular room temps.

I use a large Igloo cooler I put the fermenter (bucket) in and fill the cooler with cool water until the bucket just wants to start to float. Add a couple frozen water water bottles once or twice a day to keep the temps down. The whole contraption is covered with a thick sleeping bag, and in my lower level bathroom, which it always cool anyway.

Back