Move cider to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callmebruce

Reaction score
I'm doing a basic hard cider based on 5 gallons of apple juice. Nothing fancy. Doing Graham's English Cider.

It will have been in primary for four weeks come Sunday. I could rack it to secondary, but my better bottle is a little too tall for my big ol' tub cooler thing (I wouldn't be able to put a cover on it to keep it cool). So - leave in primary in the fermentation bucket and I can keep the temps around 65-70 by tossing ice bottles in the tub the fermentation bucket is in - and keep it cool with foam around the bucket and a stryfoam top. Or move to secondary to clear it, but then it'll be dealing with temps in the low 80's in my garage.

Better choice - 65-70 degrees, or rack to secondary but let it hit 80 degrees?

Most ciders I've made are pretty good out of the primary. If you want to age it in a secondary though you're not going to want all the head space from a pail. 80º shouldn't be bad. You don't have to worry about the temp as much seeing that the ferment is done. Just try to keep is as cool as you can, but I would definately transfer it over to the carboy.

Back