Mouse Droppings Around Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT_Keg

Reaction score
I haven’t brewed in over a year and a half and have now found some time to dive back in. Unfortunately, two+ weeks ago, I pulled my equipment off the storage racks in my garage and found some mouse droppings around my grain mill and on some of my other storage containers. Cleaning off the storage containers was easy enough… should I clean my grain mill? If so, how?

Thank you guys!

MT

I have more of a problem with cob webs. I would wipe it down with alcohol and a rag(I mean shop towel) and then run a pound or so of grain thru it and toss it in the compost.
You do know that the FDA has max specs on fesses , bug parts and such for all food stuffs and it's not 0.
I would name the first beer Mouse Tracks,but don't tell anybody why.

Can't you take it apart? Though anything you can do like vacuum it out or blow compressed air through it will help further reduced that piece of a mouse turd to 5 gallons beer ratio.

However you are going to be boiling for a time everything that goes through the mill. Though I probably will wait till you've done a few brews before I try some of your beer.

Vacuum it off, wipe it off and if you want, use a sanitize wipe or two on it, or just rag with some alcohol. Don't be so anal, I would never run grain through it and throw it away, just use it. Running grain through it won't clean it..blow it off good after next use and put inside a plastic bag. Should at least slow it down.

I'd embark on a serious eradication campaign too if I were you. I'd put down poison until there were no further traces of them.

Poison? Like to smell them dead? Nope, traps.
The trouble is they are quick to learn that traps kill them and so you'll never get them all. Admittedly they learn about poison too after a while so swapping between methods is actually the best tactic.

I am going through the same stuff... I had to toss out a 55lb sack of German pils and some other grain that the darn mice got into... Nothing in my mill though. We had exterminators come out and they said to use Lysol disinfecting wipes/spray and let it sit for 15 minutes to kill anything that's there then wash it with hot water. Now, we have to go through a whole process to get the mice out of my attic and out of my beer stuff. I've since bought lots of food grade storage bins and have been keeping everything in them and I've yet to have the issue again. Good Luck!

The trouble is they are quick to learn that traps kill them and so you'll never get them all. Admittedly they learn about poison too after a while so swapping between methods is actually the best tactic.
o_O Not too easy to learn, when you're dead! I guess the others could see dead mice in traps and learn from that?! I suppose they *might* be smart enough to figure it out.

I am going through the same stuff... I had to toss out a 55lb sack of German pils and some other grain that the darn mice got into... Nothing in my mill though. We had exterminators come out and they said to use Lysol disinfecting wipes/spray and let it sit for 15 minutes to kill anything that's there then wash it with hot water. Now, we have to go through a whole process to get the mice out of my attic and out of my beer stuff. I've since bought lots of food grade storage bins and have been keeping everything in them and I've yet to have the issue again. Good Luck!
The best, most foolproof rodent trap is to take a plastic bucket and put a couple inches of water and/or vodka inside. I use an old arrow from my bow hunting supplies but a dowel will work too... poke it through a beer or soda can and place it on top of the bucket. Smear the can with peanut butter and use a board to make a ramp up to the lip of the bucket. They will climb up and onto the can to get the peanut butter... the can will roll and dump them in the bucket where they drown.

The best, most foolproof rodent trap is to take a plastic bucket and put a couple inches of water and/or vodka inside. I use an old arrow from my bow hunting supplies but a dowel will work too... poke it through a beer or soda can and place it on top of the bucket. Smear the can with peanut butter and use a board to make a ramp up to the lip of the bucket. They will climb up and onto the can to get the peanut butter... the can will roll and dump them in the bucket where they drown.
Thanks for the tip! I have seen this done but I think it's just a bad way to go out with the drowning and all... If I were the mouse I'd rather go out quickly with a snap of a spring loaded trap but none of them really sound like a fun way to leave planet earth. The pest folks have placed the kill traps around and they seem to be doing the trick with these little guys. I feel bad for them but it's either them or me!

o_O Not too easy to learn, when you're dead! I guess the others could see dead mice in traps and learn from that?! I suppose they *might* be smart enough to figure it out.
There's no might about it, they definitely are smart enough. I've had an ongoing war with rodents, rats rather than mice, at my farm for years. I put down spring traps and they work for a while but they soon start avoiding them. I'll switch to poison pellets which takes out some more but these soon stop being eaten too, prompting a switch to poison grains and then back to traps again. Doing this continuously will get their numbers down to very few but stop for a month or so and they'll be back with a vengeance.

Back