Motueka pairing in a pale ale other than cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radial67

Reaction score
Has anyone got any tried and true recipe hop pairings for a pale ale using motueka? There are a heap of recipes using this hop w cascade, but I really want to aviod cascade cos I use it in just about every recipe I make

I've researched a bit and come up w Amarillo and simcoe, any other suggestions?

It depends what you're after, flavor/aroma-wise... i.e. pine, floral, citrus, earth, stone fruits, spice, more tropical fruits, etc. -- I would pick something much high alpha than it's typical 7% so you have some flexibility.

Citrus, Tropical Fruit, Grass, and Spice as a general descriptor for Motueka sounds like Belma to me. I disliked Belma as a late IPA hop. I paired it with Warrior (clean 17.7% bittering hop) and Citra (tropical 13.4% late hop).

Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere bitters with Southern Cross, then uses Motueka late with more Southern Cross and Pacifica.

I regularly make a pale ale with Motueka and Citra.

80% pale malt
10% wheat malt
5% carahell or carared
5% biscuit or victory malt

OG 1054, 20L
60min Bittering US Magnum to total IBU 40
10min 30g Citra
30g Motueka
flameout 40g Citra
40g Motueka

I like it with Citra and Amarillo. It seems to magnify the qualities of each, while adding it's own unique grassiness. If I remember correctly, Motueka is the hop highest in myrcene, the oil responsible for grassy tones.

Although I haven't personally done it myself, they say a 3/4:1 ratio Motueka:Nelson Sauvin, give a very Riwaka type Flavour.

I have a IIPA in the works where Mouteka is paired with Nelson Sauvin at a 1:2 ratio for late additions. It will be bittered with Pacific Jade and dry hopped with Galaxy. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I've used it in a 2:1 ratio over citra in a hoppy american wheat, and it was quite nice, as well as with other NZ hops in both an IPA and a hoppy saison that were delicious.

I like it with Citra or Amarillo. It seems to magnify the qualities of each, while adding it's own unique grassiness.

I never got any grassiness whatsoever from Citra and Amarillo. And I've used both of these hops collectively and separately about a hundred times at every time slot and dryhop.

If I remember correctly, Motueka is the hop highest in myrcene, the oil responsible for grassy tones.

That's an urbanmyth :) Amarillo has the highest myrcene content to my knowledge. Citra isn't far behind. And myrcene is not an oil; it's a compound. There are numerous sources out there which describe its flavors differently, but when myrcene registers high %'s in selected American Pacific Northwest hop already high in total oil content, I sense its effects as fruity, floral, and citrusy... Most of the flavors you typically look for in American IPAs.

Thanks guys.

Am going to try the Motueka and Citra this time around cos Im saving my Simcoe for a Green Flash Clone.

I will post the results in a few weeks.

DonRikkles said:
I have a IIPA in the works where Mouteka is paired with Nelson Sauvin at a 1:2 ratio for late additions. It will be bittered with Pacific Jade and dry hopped with Galaxy. I'll let you know how it turns out.

How's this one going, Don?

How did this turn out? I'm considering making an IPA this weekend with Citra/Motueka at 15 minutes and in the whirlpool. Was it good?

I just racked a Motueka/Crystal Belgian Pale to keg last night. I get a almost pineapple character out of it. Was supposed to go to a festival, but may have to keep that one for myself.

It was very good! I'm thinking of entering the imperial IPA into a competition. The Nelson Sauvin definitely comes through on the nose, and the Motueka on first taste. The pacific jade I FWH with gives a very smooth bitterness, considering its 99 IBUs.

I used it motueka in a pale wheat beer and it came out sort of lemon lime, almost like squirt soda. You guys get that at all?

I like it with Citra and Amarillo. It seems to magnify the qualities of each, while adding it's own unique grassiness. If I remember correctly, Motueka is the hop highest in myrcene, the oil responsible for grassy tones.

Thinking of trying this, what sort of ratio do you recommend?

Thread's 7 years old, and urbanmyth hasn't been around on here for over two years. You're not likely to get a response.

Motueka goes well with Riwaka. Second the Sauvin pairing as well.

I've used Motueka + Lemon Drop + Citra (1:1:1) on a Rye IPA with very good results.

motueka, mandarina & mosaic has worked for me.

or pair with any other nz hop basically.

its hugely versatile.
Unpopular opinion, but im not a huge mosaic fan, and wouldnt the mosaic overpower the motueka and mandarina?

I'm new to the new zeland hops. I try to be careful when using new hops for the first time, figure it's better to pair them with something i know well in case I dont like it. Hence the citra amarillo pairing.

Motueka goes well with Riwaka. Second the Sauvin pairing as well.

Just tried riwaka for the first time yesterday, in the new monkish other half collab. Found it a little harsh for my tastes. Wasn't a single hop beer, but was the only hop in it i hadnt tried. I do have have a bunch of nelson sitting around actually, what sort of ratio would you use?

I've used Motueka + Lemon Drop + Citra (1:1:1) on a Rye IPA with very good results.

Just picked up some lemondrop actually, not sure what to do with it yet. I thought that both motueka and lemondrop were fairly mild though, did the citra overpower them?

Unpopular opinion, but im not a huge mosaic fan, and wouldnt the mosaic overpower the motueka and mandarina?

I use it in moderation on this type of beer, is a back up (i.e. 1/4oz) rather than a standing component.
my whirlpool and dryhop is:
50g mandarina
30g motueka
10g mosaic

I use it in moderation on this type of beer, is a back up (i.e. 1/4oz) rather than a standing component.
my whirlpool and dryhop is:
50g mandarina
30g motueka
10g mosaic

To me motueka and mandarina would make better filler hops when it comes to ipas though. Would be fine in some of the less hop forward styles, but not for something stronger. Was planning to do a neipa of 7-8 percent. Does that combo still come out with a big hop flavour and aroma?

Just picked up some lemondrop actually, not sure what to do with it yet. I thought that both motueka and lemondrop were fairly mild though, did the citra overpower them?
I used 5oz at whirlpool @ 75°C for 30min and 5oz at DH for a 5.5 gal batch and really enjoined the beer. I don't think Citra overpowered them (or at least I liked it anyway), it had a complex citrus flavour I would say.

I like Motueka with Pacific Jade ( NZ hop aswell ), Wai-Iti, Taiheke ( NZ grown Cascade - quite different than the US one ), El Dorado and Amarillo. These are the other hops that went in with Motueka in various brews and gave really pleasent results. You can of course pair it with a lot of other hops and will surely go well. Motueka has Saaz parentage, just like Riwaka, and for me, Motueka adds something that distinguishes it from other lemony, limey, citrussy hops. It's balanced by a somewhat herbal, grassy, grown up hop aroma/flavour, which does show up more when paired in recipes, other than IPAs/NEIPAs. Anything belgian will work very well with this hop, at least for my taste.

I like Motueka with Pacific Jade ( NZ hop aswell ), Wai-Iti, Taiheke ( NZ grown Cascade - quite different than the US one ), El Dorado and Amarillo. These are the other hops that went in with Motueka in various brews and gave really pleasent results. You can of course pair it with a lot of other hops and will surely go well. Motueka has Saaz parentage, just like Riwaka, and for me, Motueka adds something that distinguishes it from other lemony, limey, citrussy hops. It's balanced by a somewhat herbal, grassy, grown up hop aroma/flavour, which does show up more when paired in recipes, other than IPAs/NEIPAs. Anything belgian will work very well with this hop, at least for my taste.

Living in NZ. Motueka is a hop thats is readily and easily available. Funnily enough I've never experimented with it anywehre near enough. But there are numerous breweries here, which use it as a hop in their hazy IPA's. I'm not sure if its for backup flavour or as the main flavour compound, but the ones that do it, are some great beers. Almost an extra layer of tropical fruit (When paired with the likes of nelson, galaxy etc, it really grows.

Aro Street

EDIT: Added the Garage Project hazy IPA done with Trillium

Back