Motueka hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Greetings to all,

Was perusing threads earlier today and ran into one that mentioned Motueka hops. Did a little researching and found they might be good as a late addition to an IPA or Pale ale. I guess my question is, has anybody used them and what did they bring to the party? I am in search of new stuff to try, not because I have gotten good at what I have done so far, but just kinda curious. Anybody with any recipes they would be willing to share that has used those hops? I am mostly an IPA drinker, but Pale Ale's and other Ale styles are cool too. I had a black IPA that was awesome from another member here, so if that is a possibility I am willing to check it out.

I just used this in a SMASH beer on Friday. You can see the recipe here

Post in thread 'Pilsner style beer'
Pilsner style beer

With the Lutra it’s basically already done fermenting.
I think that post is what got me wondering as I had never heard of them I might give your recipe a try, although I have never done the step mash like you are doing. i have trouble with temps on my propane burner so that might be an issue. We will see. Thanks.

I think that post is what got me wondering as I had never heard of them I might give your recipe a try, although I have never done the step mash like you are doing. i have trouble with temps on my propane burner so that might be an issue. We will see. Thanks.
If you sub in regular Pilsner malt you can do a single infusion mash say at 149 and then mash out at 170. You would be totally fine with that.

Follow the hop schedule and the beer should be very similar

Food for thought.

For my clone of BrewDogs Punk IPA, I stuff Motueka in at flame out.

Here is BrewDogs recipe for it...

https://brewdogrecipes.com/recipes/punk-ipa-2007-2010
To me it gives the beer a musky (in a nice way) taste that I remember in beers long ago. But I'm in no way a beer judge so don't go by my description. Make your own and see for yourself.

For my clone of BrewDogs Punk IPA, I stuff Motueka in at flame out.

Here is BrewDogs recipe for it...

https://brewdogrecipes.com/recipes/punk-ipa-2007-2010
To me it gives the beer a musky (in a nice way) taste that I remember in beers long ago. But I'm in no way a beer judge so don't go by my description. Make your own and see for yourself.
Will definitely put it on my list to try thanks.

I get a pithy lime character from it and when used in high rates, I get that slight NZ “machine oil” character from it.

I just kegged my Motueka Pilsner-Style. It has a strong lemon-lime flavor, even though I used brown rice in a cereal mash; the hops just beat the snot out of the rice flavor.
6.5# Pilsner
2# Brown Rice (cereal mash)
2x decoction, Mash took 4 hours in total because I went to church in the middle :)
1oz. Motueka @60
1oz. Motueka Whirlpool 170F 20 min.
2 oz. Motueka Dry Hop, 2 days at 40F
WLP 800
OG: 1.047, FG: 1.008, ABV 5%, IBU: 27
I use RO water and mineraled it up to Brewer's Friend's Pale and Hoppy profile.
I fermented for 1 week at 50F, let it free-rise for 2 days, then cold crashed it at 40F and dry-hopped.

I am really looking forward to drinking this during a hot summer day.

Here's a recipe that features Motueka (and Sorachi Ace) hops that I keep telling myself I'm going to brew some day. And now for the fourth year in a row...maybe this summer. ;)
Very different than what I am used to. Looks like it might be a good one to try. My brother is a Hef fan, so it could be fun to try. Thanks. Some good recipes and different styles that I can add to my arsenal once I get multiple taps. LOL. Rock On!!!!!!!!

We have a couple of recipes with it. We do a mexican lager with tettnang and motueka. It's my wife's favorite beer and we brew it every year to have ready around Cinco de Mayo. We use the motueka at 15 min and 5 min and then again in the dry hop. Gives a nice lime like flavor to it. My wife's go to beer when she didn't care about what she was drinking was corona light with a lime. My goal was to make a beer she didn't have to put a lime in. Took us about 5 tries to really nail it down but we got it!

We also did a pale ale with Citra/Motueka (1:2 ratio) and it came out really nice. Super happy with that. I would definitely give motueka a shot.

We have a couple of recipes with it. We do a mexican lager with tettnang and motueka. It's my wife's favorite beer and we brew it every year to have ready around Cinco de Mayo. We use the motueka at 15 min and 5 min and then again in the dry hop. Gives a nice lime like flavor to it. My wife's go to beer when she didn't care about what she was drinking was corona light with a lime. My goal was to make a beer she didn't have to put a lime in. Took us about 5 tries to really nail it down but we got it!

We also did a pale ale with Citra/Motueka (1:2 ratio) and it came out really nice. Super happy with that. I would definitely give motueka a shot.
Pale with Citra and Motueka sounds like it might be a good one. I have a Pale ale ready to keg now with Mosaic only that I am hoping will be good. I did a citra only pale that I really liked, what would I do with the motueka? add double to the citra at the same times? This is great stuff, thanks to all

Pale with Citra and Motueka sounds like it might be a good one. I have a Pale ale ready to keg now with Mosaic only that I am hoping will be good. I did a citra only pale that I really liked, what would I do with the motueka? add double to the citra at the same times? This is great stuff, thanks to all
I’ll dm you shortly how we approached the 1:2 ratio.

If you never used Motueka, single hop it. I always suggest doing this when using a hop for the first time.

That way you actually learn what it brings to the table
That’s why I SMASH’d it wanted to see just that as well as play with the lutra kveik. 2 birds 1 stone type situation. Sounds like I may end up with a Mexican-Pilsner. Which might be a super refreshing summer beer here in the hot south.

Last edited:
Back