Motorized Barley Crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker33

Reaction score
I am looking for a decent motor to power my barley crusher. I am looking for something similar to the old school "beefy bodine" but I believe that has been discontinued many years ago. Does anyone have a decent direct drive motor they can recommend?

Barley Crusher actually reccomend a against a motor and a pulley. They recommend a drill or drill type motor. That's what I did with mine. Many people have used this drill and love it. I get to use it for the first time tomorrow.

image-2153112184.jpg

image-4090320838.jpg

I have a drill that I use now, but fairly often I need to refill the hopper and stop the mill. I would like to be able to keep the hopper filled while letting it go. Also, with the drill it is hard to keep the same rpm and I find I often over crush my grains.

Just a thought, but if you could determine the right speed, then glue the trigger in that position (epoxy, super glue) - while it is unplugged, of course! - then rig a switch so that flipping the switch on turns on the drill at the set speed. A cable tie might help get the speed close as a temporary device.

The drill in the picture has a speed control lever and a trigger lock. Its plugged into an outlet wired to a switch.

I have seen many builds on HBT where guys have motorized the Barley Crusher....myself included. I can't speak to the longevity of my mill, as I just completed building it and have only used it for 3 batches thus far, but it's holding up fine. The mill is suprizingly study, so I was very comfortable motorizing it. I used a 1/3 hp 1725 rpm motor with a 1 1/2" pulley on the motor shaft and a 12" pulley on the mill (had to get a 1/2" to 3/8" reducing bushing). This got my rpms down to a working range (215 rpm's) and with the exception of fine tuning my gapping I have had not problems with the belts slipping, adverse torsional stress on the mill shaft, etc. Finding a 1/3 or 1/2 hp motor should be easy. Figuring out how to reduce the rpms is the next challange. Gear boxes are way to rich for my blood, so I went with the pulley route. I have clearance issues with the 12" pulley and the 7 lb. hopper, so I built a new hopper. Here's my build if interested.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ho...-grain-mill-cabinet-grain-storage-bin-355241/

Good luck! :mug:

The deal with a pulley as opposed to a direct drive is the 'pull' sideways against the oilite bearings. They will wear oblong in time. However, they can probably be replaced...Motion Industries shows 1300 returns on a search for 'oilite bearing'

The deal with a pulley as opposed to a direct drive is the 'pull' sideways against the oilite bearings. They will wear oblong in time. However, they can probably be replaced...Motion Industries shows 1300 returns on a search for 'oilite bearing'

Certainly makes sense Hang Glider. I'll keep a close eye on my sytem and look for any abnormal laxity or movement in the bearings. I could see where a unilateral tension from a pulley system could cause issues in a mill that is used very frequently, say in a HBS where it is being abused. I'm hoping that with milling grains once or twice a month, the bearing will hold up for quite a while. I guess we'll see what happens with my system. Thankfully, I only paid $60 for the mill. :mug:

Barley Crusher actually reccomend a against a motor and a pulley. They recommend a drill or drill type motor. That's what I did with mine. Many people have used this drill and love it. I get to use it for the first time tomorrow.

Maybe I missed it, but what model is that drill? It looks like the low speed Harbor Freight drill sans handles. If so, how is it working out for you? I'm expecting a Barley Crusher for Christmas, and based on lots of research I that drill seems to be the best available option.

Once upon a time about 5 years ago I got a Bodine motor (internal gearing) from a surplus supply store that was VERY reasonable and wired it up to a Walmart TV cart and Crankinstein which worked out really well. I just search and cannot find the references but perhaps one of you can?

Can anyone identify the drill used here? Interested in this since it has a trigger lock and can control the speed.

I think I will just buy one of these to motorize the mill I am building. By the time I buy the appropriate sheaves for my 3450 rpm 1hp motor to get the RPM's down to below 300, I could probably buy two of these drills anyway. No-Brainer!!!

Out of curiosity, I just picked up a GE gear motor that is rated for 177 rpm and 40 lbs-in. I'm curious, do you all think that will work for my MM3?

Out of curiosity, I just picked up a GE gear motor that is rated for 177 rpm and 40 lbs-in. I'm curious, do you all think that will work for my MM3?

That sure sounds familiar. Does it look like the one in this picture?
grain_mill_station_01_sm.jpg

If so...I've been using that motor with a Barley Crusher mill for the last year, and it's a good match...

Cheers!

That sure sounds familiar. Does it look like the one in this picture?

If so...I've been using that motor with a Barley Crusher mill for the last year, and it's a good match...

Cheers!

Do you think that it will work with a monster mill 3? I'm a bit worried about the extra roller and torque requirement.

Do you think that it will work with a monster mill 3? I'm a bit worried about the extra roller and torque requirement.

I'm not certain, but I vaguely recall someone trying that motor on an mm3 and feeling it was under-gunned for the task. I'd try it with the knowledge that if you come to a similar conclusion you should have no problem selling the gear motor to someone with a dual roller mill...

Cheers!

Picked up the drill today and got to use my barley crusher for the first time this evening. Works great!

I like this idea!

Do you think you could replace the simple switch with a dimmer, and have a bit more speed control?

Tim

Getting tired of grinding my grain... any recent links to good, inexpensive, motors?

Back