Mothers forming during second fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefpeppa

Reaction score
Ok so when I started I was getting mothers forming in all of my 16oz ex flip top bottles, always telling my friends to strain before drinking. I cured those by filling the bottles a little higher. Now when I switch to old beer bottles it's back and filling it up more doesn't seem to work. I have two shelfs in my closet I designate to bucha, my 1st ferment is 14 day(opposite weeks) and I do my second ferment in the beer bottles with 2 T of flavoring for three days(was thinking of only doing two for the next batch) any suggestions as to how to prevent the new mother cultures from forming? I would really like to open and drink it right from the bottle instead of having to strain it into another glass before straining.

I (almost) always get small SCOBY's in my bottles as well. However, I don't see much problem with that. To me it's just a sign that the culture is still alive (and kicking) in the bottle. I simply just pour a little bit of 'bucha, together with the SCOBY, into a glass, toss that and then pour the rest. To me that seems easier than straining...

I don't strain mine either. Seems to really only happen when I put it in jars, then i just pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I fish them out and throw them in the compost. Ive never seen it compost so fast!

In the past when I passed out bottles I've racked to my friend they have a little bit on the top after about a week or two. They always save it and add a little bit of vinegar and tea to it and it grows nice mother on the bottom of a wide and shallow Pyrex bakeware some of them use them then as a face mask after they puree them

Latest posts

Back