Mostly successful first all grain day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indytruks138

Reaction score
By brewing partner and I did our first all grain day yesterday. Almost everything went perfectly. Our mash went from 153 to 152 in an hour, which is exactly what I wanted. We did two batch sparges, but we actually ended up with almost 7.25 gallons pre-boil. We hit out pre-boil SG pretty close at 1.050, just a little low because we were over on volume.

Because we were so high on water we decided to do a 90 minute boil, we had already put in our hops, so we will get a few more IBU's than planned, but everything went well. We thought we boiled right down to 5.5 gallons at the end of 90 minutes, we don't have a sightglass on our pot. Originally we had put 5.5 gallons in to see where it came up to. Apparently we were off, after chilling (our new 50' wort chiller was amazing, less than 15 minutes to take it down to 66 F) we moved our wort to the bottling bucket and then to the primary fermenter, and we only have a little over 4 gallons. Final gravity was just a tiny bit higher than expected because of lower volume, we hit 1.070. I know it will be fine, and I think the beer will be great, just wish we would have gotten 5 gallons out of it.

I just did my first all grain on Saturday night. I also did a batch sparge. I ended up with 5 gallons exactly in the fermenter but was under the OG but by just a tiny bit.. Things went good and I am sure the beer will be great. Hope yours is also. I brewed a Bavairian Helles this is also my first Lager so it was a night of exerimentation.

I just had my first all grain day two weeks ago, and my second one yesterday. Gotta love when things go alright. I was so nervous before my first and it went mostly well. My second went way more smoothly and took 2 hours less. Congrats!

2 hours less??? Wow, that is great.

Our full process including a 90 minute boil and cleanup was right around 5 1/2 hours. I am hoping to cut some of that down next time.

Back