Mostly extract Session IPA recipes needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
I don't have much time for brewing these days, I've always been an all grain brewer except for playing around with LME a few times and I didn't really didn't like the flavor. I'm also trying to lose a few pounds, so I'm going to try some extract IPA's figuring that lots of hops will to some extent cover up the extract flavor. I've also noticed my LME brews all seem to finish around 1.020. I'm going to try strictly DME +steeping grains this time, maybe add some Demerara sugar to bring the FG down, 30 minute boils, and lots of flameout and dry hops, fermented in a corny keg and closed transferred to the serving keg. Any ideas of DME combinations (use some munich DME?) and favorite hop combinations would be welcome.

My IPA may not suit you because it uses a 60 minute boil for bittering. The flavor and aroma hop additions would, of course, benefit from your treatment.

5 1/2 gal water
5 lbs. Munton's Amber DME
1/4 lb. Pale malt, toasted @350 for 10 min., crushed, steeped for 30 min @ 150-160
1 oz. Nuggett hops, BOIL, 60 min., 14 HBU
1oz. East Kent Goldings, FLAVOR, 15 min.
1oz. East Kent Goldings, AROMA, 2 min, flame out
SafAle S33 ale yeast

Last edited:
I'm going to try strictly DME +steeping grains this time, maybe add some Demerara sugar to bring the FG down, 30 minute boils, and lots of flameout and dry hops,
It's been a while since I did a 30 minute boil with DME.
When I brew DME-based batches in the OG 55 - 66 range, I'll substitute some sugar for DME to bring down the FG. I haven't done this for lower OG beers, so it will be interesting to hear how this turns out for you (my guess is that it will be OK).

... LME brews all seem to finish around 1.020.
This has not been a problem with my DME-based recipes.

Any ideas of DME combinations (use some munich DME?
For hop forward recipes, pilsen DME + steeping grains is a solid approach. "Golden Light" or "Pale Ale" DME may add some variety. I've used (and will use again) Briess Munich DME (50% munich, 50% brewers malt).

Each brand (Briess, Muntons, ...) of DME is likely to have a slightly different flavor due to source water. So if you don't like the flavor you get with one brand, consider switching to another.

Adding CaCl and/or CaS04 in small amounts (start with 1/4 gram per gallon of wort) can make a difference. Assume that each brand (and maybe style) of DME will have a different mineral composition. From experience, I've seen where a small amount of NaCl helps when using Muntons light DME, but does nothing when using Briess light DME.

Back