Most interesting thing to happen at work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahaley

Reaction score
Go ahead say anything, I'll start off, I do security and in driving though a site at around. 0130 +/- a few min, and 3 drunk guys walk passed me and one of them pretends to shoot me. Pretty uh.. Nerve racking when every other day cops are being shot at, gang shootings around the corners... I survived his mythical bullets though! My real ballistic vest > his mythical bullets lol

Your turn!

Mine all revolve around things at breweries... none of my other jobs have been interesting!

-My worst on the job injury; Was doing something that required looking in the top manway of a 20bbl HLT. As I started down the ladder, I slipped... WEEEEE... going backwards I hit my kettle and took a 1 1/2" tri-clover valve to the kidney, bounced off the tank and landed on my ankle... after which the rest of my body crashed to the floor. I couldn't get up. Fortunately the GM of the restaurant side happened to walk out of his office and saw my crumpled mass on the floor, checked that I wasn't in immediate danger. I had him call my wife and had her get me to the ER. Was off work completely for a week, supposed to be 2 weeks light duty afterwards.. RIIIIGHT... tell it to the mash tun...

-Working at a larger facility, I was doing CIP on a 90bbl FV. Set the hoses to pump out of the cone and back into the spray ball. Hot (170F) caustic cycle using a blend of caustic and bleach (NASTY stuff, but amazing at cleaning). I turned the pump on and once I saw that everything was in order, I walk around the tank to do something else. FOOOMWHOOSHHHHHH.... Out of the corner of my eye I see the hose that attached to the spray ball give way at the CIP line! BOTH hose clamps failed! It came loose at face level and was shooting caustic across the brewery. 2 seconds slower and I would have taken it full in the face.

-Same location as the first one. Had a central CIP brink that had caustic, acid and iodophor tubs. It also had a steam heat exchanger in line to recirc and heat the caustic. It was in recirc one day and my assistant and I were cleaning several things. There was a hose coming off the kettle that was recirculating 180F hot water for cleaning and sanitizing purposes. Discovered this hose was defective when a bubble formed on it. I hollered at my assistant to get out of the way, but too late.. the bubble burst and sprayed water at him. He saw it coming and jumped aside, missing the water.. but... he hit the hard piping on the cip brink and jarred to tri-clover clamps loose... he took 200F caustic to the face, shoulders, chest, etc... i.e. pretty much head to toe... there was a door to the alley right next to the brink, he jumped out and was screaming (duh). I had to get down on the floor and crawl under the spray to get to the emergency shut off. Once I had the pumps killed, I hollered at him to get back in and under the drench shower. He was too freaked, I had to grab him and drag him back in, holding him under the shower for about five minutes until I was sure the caustic was gone and he had calmed down. Fortunately, he had no burns that caused scaring.

- (not an injury story, this one, a crazy person story!) Was brewing at a pub in Birmingham, Alabama when the alcohol content limit in Alabama was raised from 5% to 6%. A few days after it went through I was called to the phone to talk to a customer. He asked me if I would be changing the beers to raise the alcohol now. I told him that the house standard recipes would remain the same, but that I would certainly brew some that were higher in alcohol (I didn't say I had already been doing specials as high as 8% heheh) This guy gets all indignant and insists that ALL the beers MUST be 6% now or I was a F**KING CROOK and RIPPING OFF THE CUSTOMERS . I tried to explain that changing the alcohol content of the house beers would also change the flavor, etc and that wasn't good to do for the customers that liked those beers. Reiterated that there would be specials that wo... YOU'RE RIPPING OFF THE CUSTOMERS... THEY SHOULD BE 6% NOW... YOU'RE RIPPING OFF THE CUSTOMERS... YOU GUYS ARE CROOKS... Well sir, you are welcome to go somewhere else, in fact I encourage you to, have a nice day YOU'RE RIPPING OFF C *click*

I don't have a brewery related incident, but when I was a firefighter/paramedic, I had a roof collapse on me, causing neck and shoulder injuries. And if you notice that my career is now past tense, the injuries forced me out 9 years ago.

It was a small fire in a tool shed. The fire had extended in between the rafters. The rafters had been covered with plywood, which we needed to pull down to expose the fire. As we were doing so, I saw the roof pivot. I tried to step back towards the door, but there was a small table or something at about knee height. I fell onto it in a sitting position, and then everything came down. It seemed like a long time, but the rest of the crew pulled me out quickly. I spent more than a year on injury leave, when the decision was made to put me on a disability retirement.

I'm ok now, but I still have issues with my neck and shoulder. Probably will for the rest of my life. At least I'm still this side of the ground.

A friend of mine did this ...
I work at a university and in the medical wing we have the cadaver room. this is where the doctors learn anatomy on real cadavers. there is about 50 bodies on tables in the room at any given time. 1 day while a new janitor was being given a tour my friend snick into the room about 5 minutes ahead of them,laid on a table and pulled the sheet up. 5 minutes later then new guy walks in,y friend just laid there quietly and as soon as he was beside the table he reached out from under the sheet amd grabbed him. New guy screamed like s girl and ran out of the room.
later on he admitted it was pretty funny but he was not happy at the time

Goof, that is hysterical... I have heard similar stories from people working hospitals all over the country... and in a couple other countries as well! Makes me laugh EVERY time!

HBB, WOW, that is some intense stuff... glad you made it out of that, those situations can go south real fast. Thank you for putting yourself out there.

We've had drunk people pull up to the plant gate and get pissed that their code won't work to let them into their apartment complex.

The ass grease (various substances such as cooking oil from homes and restaurants and fats from cooked meat that float out of sewage and get skimmed off for separate processing) that stuff has caught on fire. It smells disturbingly like bacon cheese burgers.

Marijuana growing in grit drying beds. Those seeds are quite hardy. So are tomatoes, cukes and melons. And corn. Lots of corn. It doesn't grow though.

Dang! I didn't think the thread would get this much attention! And for the fireman, thanks for doing your job, it's a bummer to hear you lost it that way, I lost my job today for calling in sick... But dang everyone but me had it rough at work! I thought drunk people pretending to shoot me was weird lol :p

I work at the number sellin whiskey distillery in the states and had a couple bad accidents. I worked in the barrel warehouses and got my hand caught between a oak post and a 500 pound barrel. I found out that you can bend fingers in roller coaster shape without breaking them. I also ruptured a disc in my back picking a barrel up. There is a lot of work that goes into whiskey making.

Back