Mosaic Pale Ale Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krown

Reaction score
I'd like to get some feedback on a recipe that I have just designed.

I am aiming for something very popular atm, a crushable, medium-low ABV NON-watery hoppy pale ale (most session IPA are too watery to my taste, therefore I call this one a pale ale and hope to obtain some decent maltiness and mouthfeel :fro:).

For the first time I will be brewing during a week-day as all my weekends are booked for ages and will therefore only BIAB mash for 60 minutes (I usually go for 90) and boil for 30 minutes.

Let me know what you all think:

4.75 gallon batch
Mash @ 155F for extra residual sugars

7 lbs Maris Otter (80%)
12.4 oz Vienna Malt (10%)
6.2 oz Flaked Oats (4%)
6.2 oz Carapils (4%) <----------- Or crystal 10? Or replace by more oats?
2.5 oz Honey Malt (2%) <----------- Is the high mash temp enough for a bit of residual sweetness? Should I keep it out?

Mosaic 11.5% 1 oz as FWH (30 min boil)
Mosaic 11.5% 1 oz for 5 min boil
Mosaic 11.5% 2 oz whirlpool @ 175F
Mosaic 11.5% 2 oz DH at end of ferm with few points left for 5 days

Pitch healthy starter of 4th gen WY1272 @ 66F, free rise and hold at 68F and finish at 70F when fermentation slows down.

Est. OG: 1.050
Est. FG: 1.013
Est. ABV: 4.8%
SRM: 4.9
Est. IBUs (not counting whirlpool contribution): 48.1 - Is it too high for the OG?

Prost! :mug:

Looks good. You have the high mash for some body, or you could use 10% rye which will add some chew as well as great head retention. I would probably drop the carapils since its not really needed here, or go with crystal as you say... maybe 20-30L to get some character from it.

Looks good. You have the high mash for some body, or you could use 10% rye which will add some chew as well as great head retention. I would probably drop the carapils since its not really needed here, or go with crystal as you say... maybe 20-30L to get some character from it.

I like this but maybe drop the Vienna and add a little more to the rye and flaked. Not a fan of using Mosaic for bittering. Maybe drop the 30 but go with a small 60 of magnum?

Thanks for the great input guys.

I will swap the carapils for crystal 20L - I was scared it would up the SRM too much but I will end up around 5.9 according to beersmith.

I will keep the Rye out for this iteration as I find it provides sharpness to the end of taste and I am going more for smoothness with this one. Although, I might try it in in the second iteration of this recipe. I am going double the flaked oats and won't fear the haze!

I can only boil for 30 minutes due to limited time, do you think it might come out as harsh with the Mosaic? I could go with a clean bittering hop @ 30 minutes instead.

Finally I think I am going to go for a 140 Cl : 80 Su ratio and mash at pH 5.4.

It is a solid recipe. If you want more body, bump the oats 2 or 3%. Otherwise, go for it. At this point it is a matter of taste and the Vienna will offer great character and I personally (one who likes Vienna in PA and IPA) would say carapils is a good match for it. Why cover up the character of the Vienna? Great stuff.

FWH for a 30 min boil is interesting. No reason as far as I am concerned. Flavor at 20, raise the qty and I promise you will not be sorry.

I can only boil for 30 minutes due to limited time, do you think it might come out as harsh with the Mosaic? I could go with a clean bittering hop @ 30 minutes instead.

I don't think the Mosaic will come out too harsh at 30 minutes. I just a brewed a pale ale with just Mosaic too. All additions were made in the last 20 minutes. It turned out great.

Latest posts

Back