Morebeer Irish Red Extract FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB_brewer

Reaction score
I recently brewed my 2nd batch of the Morebeer's Irish Red extract. This time I decided to "do it right" and record my OG and FG. I started with an OG of 1.054 and after about 8 days at 68-70 in the fermenter with WLP004, it is at 1.018.

Anyone else make this kit? What was your FG? Am I ready to bottle?
It looks like fermentation is over, but the FG isn't as low as I though it would be. any advice?

I usually give beers at least three weeks, but if you are like i was when I first started out, impatient :eek:, take gravity readings for three to five days. If the gravity is steady, the beer is done.

The first time I made it (first batch ever) I kinda forgot about it for awhile in the primary, at least 3-4 weeks and it turned great. It sounds like I just need to be more patient . . .

How long do you guys bottle condition for? You think 7-10 days is enough?

I'll taste one beer after two weeks of conditioning if it is average to low OG. Around 1.052, three to four weeks. Higher OG, six weeks to a few months.

I'm still pretty new, but so far I have been conditioning at room temp for 2 weeks and then a week in the fridge. Let some bottles condition longer see if there is difference to you. The bottles I have open after 1 week lacked carbonation. From what I have read on here seems the extract brews don't always hit the expected FG. But like said before check 3 days apart, if no change likely done. Still may benefit to leave in primary at least 2 weeks.

Back