MoreBeer Conical Gasket Separating at Join (how to glue together again)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymurgy101

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience gluing the main gasket back together on a conical (specifically MoreBeer, 14 gallon)? I called MoreBeer and the customer service rep said they use food grade cyanoacrylate when they make them. I'm assuming that a regular CA would be too brittle and that I should try some sort of 2-octyl cyanoacrylate formula like Dermabond or other tissue adhesive?

Thanks for any input!

Butter knife and a torch.

Heat the knife, press both side against the knife to melt the ends, remove knife, and hold the ends toghether until they cool.

Now it's welded rather than glued.

It's be easier if you have a helper.

The gasket is only separating on the flat portion, not on the top, rounded portion (if that makes any sense). In other words, it's only about 30% separated; so I would actually have to cut it completely in half to employ that method. I may try regular CA since it is such a small area. If that fails, then I'll cut it completely in half and try a heat swedge. Thanks for the idea!

Back