More to it than I thought.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I'm sure it's been said a gazillion times already, it's as complicated as you make it.

You can very easily throw things together with stuff you already own in your house, double pot boils to get the volume you want, regular thermometers, regular glass hydrometers, buckets from lowes to ferment in, etc.

Or you can go scientific as you want, or fancy, or gadgety as you want. That's the beautiful thing about this hobby, it's as involved or uninvolved as you want it to be. You can focus on yeast and be a yeast master, or water and be a water master, you can malt your own grains, or use lme or dme. The opportunities are endless with this hobby.

Biggest part of the hobby is to enjoy it. I've found there's certain aspects of the hobby that I don't enjoy doing it the way I was doing it, but there's always a work around. For example, I hate waiting for my wort to cool enough to pitch my yeast. I've been cheap and not went out and made a emersion chiller yet, well, that will cut my time down drastically so guess what I'm going to be adding to my brewing gear collection next, yep, a dual station emersion chiller. One will go in a cooler full of ice and run into the emersion chiller in my boil kettle to really bring that wort down to temp asap.

Have fun with it, take it to whatever level you want and brew some beer :)

Update:

My first 1 gallon brew is bubbling! I can not wait to try this batch!

-Altrez

nbtpl1galsb.jpg

Update:

So I came home for lunch to check on my latest brew and it is going crazy! It is venting off so much co2 that you can hear it when you open the chamber!

This is going to be a good one!

-Altrez

Update:

So I came home for lunch to check on my latest brew and it is going crazy! It is venting off so much co2 that you can hear it when you open the chamber!

This is going to be a good one!

-Altrez

The sounds of fermentation are hypnotic.

Just to revisit a topic here, since you have multiple items in the fermentation chamber at one time this is less effective, but having your probe on the vessel under a little insulation or actually in the beer is highly preferable. That rapid fire C02 bubbling is accompanied by an exothermic component as well...in the case of some yeasts, temp rise is common 5-6 f and reach 10 f. By the time that reaches your probe elsewhere in the chamber, with only 8 #'s of liquid, the "damage" is already done.

I've enjoyed following this thread for a number of reasons. First as has already been pointed out, you've been nothing but polite and avoided the nastiness that can happen in an online forum. Second, I'm getting a kick out of your unbridled enthusiasm for a great endeavor. Third, I think you are completely off the wall (in a great way) and I love checking in on your progress. Fourth, you are good for the economy. Cheers Altrez! Can't wait to see where this goes :) Finally, with regards to your beer and fidgeting with it after you cool the wort, in the immortal words of my mother, "Good God, leave it alone. It will grow!" :)

Altrez, what controller are you using for your ferm chambers? I'm trying to figure out which one to get. My perfect basement temps. are slowly creeping up with the warm weather, and I need to get something soon. And I'm not going back thru 41 pages to see what you got.

Altrez, what controller are you using for your ferm chambers? I'm trying to figure out which one to get. My perfect basement temps. are slowly creeping up with the warm weather, and I need to get something soon. And I'm not going back thru 41 pages to see what you got.

I am using the ITC-308 and it works great! I did data logging and it was always within a degree.

http://ink-bird.com/asset/file/ITC-308 V2.1 EN.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011296704/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have two and they work well!

-Altrez

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

I really have no idea how to age beer in a Oak Barrel so I am starting off small. I ordered this Barrel:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VO3DNLK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I plan to fill it as full as possible and let the beer age 1 more month. I like the idea of a Oaked aged light beer for flavor and I think it will turn out pretty good.

-Altrez

Gotta say Altrez, I've enjoyed reading every one of your posts. Don't worry about the nay-Sayers because every one of us learned this hobby a different way. You have tons of energy and you love gadgets. You have a great thirst for knowledge as well. Keep it up pal and enjoy it.

cheers!

Gotta say Altrez, I've enjoyed reading every one of your posts. Don't worry about the nay-Sayers because every one of us learned this hobby a different way. You have tons of energy and you love gadgets. You have a great thirst for knowledge as well. Keep it up pal and enjoy it.

cheers!

Thank you so much!

:tank:

-Altrez

I am using the ITC-308 and it works great! I did data logging and it was always within a degree.

As someone mentioned above it looks like you are measuring ambient not beer temp. With those tiny batches it might not be a big a deal but certainly could be with larger batches. Given how much time and effort you've put into equipment, data analysis, etc. I'd think you'd want to be more precise with your temp control.

As someone mentioned above it looks like you are measuring ambient not beer temp. With those tiny batches it might not be a big a deal but certainly could be with larger batches. Given how much time and effort you've put into equipment, data analysis, etc. I'd think you'd want to be more precise with your temp control.

Hello chickypad,

I agree with you 100% I have only just got to the 1 gallon batches. Once I move up to 5 + gallons I am going to buy a fully computer controlled Glycol cooling system that monitors internal and external temps every secound.

I am also going to check with our Rockwell automation team to see if they have any ideas.

-Altrez

I agree with you 100% I have only just got to the 1 gallon batches. Once I move up to 5 + gallons I am going to buy a fully computer controlled Glycol cooling system that monitors internal and external temps every secound.

I am also going to check with our Rockwell automation team to see if they have any ideas.

-Altrez

Of course you are. From what I know of you I should have had more faith. Altrez strikes again!
:mug:

Alright, over 2 days I just finished reading all the posts in this thread! EPIC! Loved it all.

Altrez - Totally respect and understand your reasoning for going Mr Beer, even though you know it's not going to be as good as something you'll brew later. I've also done stuff that I did with my father to remember and honour him.

I started brewing a couple years ago. I also started on a Mr Beer as well. I didn't have the fermentation setup you do at that point, but I made some beer. Before it was done fermenting I'd gone and spent $400 on some dude's brew equipment on craigslist. Was it perfect? Nope, but it had everything I needed to start making all-grain. Did I make all-grain? Nope I went into steeping extracts first, made a batch of stout, it was crap and I ended up dumping it ( I believe this was down to the prior owners fermenter.... have never had a batch anywhere near as bad again with new fermenters!). Great learning experience though.... Did 2-3 other extract brews then on to all grain and never looked back...

Pretty sure I've made a couple hundred gallons to date. Some I've loved, and others I've liked less but I used them all to refine my process.

Now I currently still brew on a modified version of that $400 setup, but I have fermentation setups, 2 kegerators and a garage full of brewing equipment.

2 years later on ans I am (very slowly!) building a 100 amp 4 element electric 3 vessel rig with 3 pumps for mass production of my favourite house brews (2x20 gallons at a time is mass for me!), just got a blichmann floor burner, just ordered a 20 gallon Spike brewing custom kettle for mostly BIAB when I am mobile. I'll have 2/3 different brew rigs for different purposes when I am done, not including what I have up for sale right now...

Overkill? Absolutely, but I enjoy all of the tinkering with the different equipment almost as much as I enjoy the brewing and the final product.

I guess what I am saying is I see a little bit of you in me.... You just have deeper pockets I think!

Brew on brother!

Alright, over 2 days I just finished reading all the posts in this thread! EPIC! Loved it all.

Altrez - Totally respect and understand your reasoning for going Mr Beer, even though you know it's not going to be as good as something you'll brew later. I've also done stuff that I did with my father to remember and honour him.

I started brewing a couple years ago. I also started on a Mr Beer as well. I didn't have the fermentation setup you do at that point, but I made some beer. Before it was done fermenting I'd gone and spent $400 on some dude's brew equipment on craigslist. Was it perfect? Nope, but it had everything I needed to start making all-grain. Did I make all-grain? Nope I went into steeping extracts first, made a batch of stout, it was crap and I ended up dumping it ( I believe this was down to the prior owners fermenter.... have never had a batch anywhere near as bad again with new fermenters!). Great learning experience though.... Did 2-3 other extract brews then on to all grain and never looked back...

Pretty sure I've made a couple hundred gallons to date. Some I've loved, and others I've liked less but I used them all to refine my process.

Now I currently still brew on a modified version of that $400 setup, but I have fermentation setups, 2 kegerators and a garage full of brewing equipment.

2 years later on ans I am (very slowly!) building a 100 amp 4 element electric 3 vessel rig with 3 pumps for mass production of my favourite house brews (2x20 gallons at a time is mass for me!), just got a blichmann floor burner, just ordered a 20 gallon Spike brewing custom kettle for mostly BIAB when I am mobile. I'll have 2/3 different brew rigs for different purposes when I am done, not including what I have up for sale right now...

Overkill? Absolutely, but I enjoy all of the tinkering with the different equipment almost as much as I enjoy the brewing and the final product.

I guess what I am saying is I see a little bit of you in me.... You just have deeper pockets I think!

Brew on brother!

Thank you so much for the post and sharing your brewing experience with everyone. Tinker's are the people who figure out all the things that are broke and fix them and then we brake all the things that work to make them better :)

FWIW I do not have deep pockets money wise. However I have a list of engineers / lab junkies / contractors / programmers / consultants that will make your head spin.

Thanks for the post brother!

:mug::tank::mug:

-Altrez

Thank you so much for the post and sharing your brewing experience with everyone. Tinker's are the people who figure out all the things that are broke and fix them and then we brake all the things that work to make them better :)

FWIW I do not have deep pockets money wise. However I have a list of engineers / lab junkies / contractors / programmers / consultants that will make your head spin.

Thanks for the post brother!

:mug::tank::mug:

-Altrez

I still think your pockets are a little deeper than mine!:tank::mug:

I've loved your enthusiasm over every part of what you've bought. I often over think things before jumping in (hence the slow 100 amp control panel build!) and you just jump in, buy what's needed keep on analysing and adjust as needed.

Looking forward to seeing your journey, this has been a fun thread!

Let me know if I can help in anyway, I'm by no means an expert, but I've bought a lot of sh#t, some has worked some hasn't. As a result of this thread I went and bought the water book tonight so I can read up on that. I'm currently researching the RO systems to try and improve my beers.

All part of the fun of this wonderful hobby!:ban:

Or - now hear me out - a $20 thermowell, a $20 heating belt, and the freezer you already have. Just sayin'.

And that would also work! I just know what I want and I have seen several builds here that are way cool! I am going to budget 5k for my build all computer controlled 5 gallon. It will not be enough.

-Altrez

Since early in this thread it was mentioned that you were doing this to save money because you drink a good amount...now spending 5K...

Wondering if we are all being trolled....

It has been an entertaining read...something to follow since the boneyard closed.

I'm just going to go to Red River Gorge and get you your spring water straight from the source. ;)

Since early in this thread it was mentioned that you were doing this to save money because you drink a good amount...now spending 5K...

Wondering if we are all being trolled....

It has been an entertaining read...something to follow since the boneyard closed.

No trolling here I have just been looking at options. Still at least 88 brews away from anything big!

-Altrez

And that would also work! I just know what I want and I have seen several builds here that are way cool! I am going to budget 5k for my build all computer controlled 5 gallon. It will not be enough.

Do you want to brew beer, or do you want to automate the entire process to the point where you don't have to do anything, and a computer magically produces beer for you?

Do you want to brew beer, or do you want to automate the entire process to the point where you don't have to do anything, and a computer magically produces beer for you?

I really want a beer brewing robot that handles all the brewing for me. I will just over see the operation :) Pretty much what I do at work now but with even less effort!

:rockin:

-Altrez

-Altrez

But you don't have deep pockets, lol. ;)

Another parallel: don't expect to save money on beer by homebrewing any more than you would save money on fish by buying a boat.

Hah! Well said. I got into this to save money. I quickly found out that will not at all be the case.

I'm really happy with mine. I use mine only with a freezer, which makes for some variability in temps, I kind of bounce between 67f and 63f, the cooling is vigorous enough that the ambient temps keep reducing the temp on the carboy long after the condenser shuts off ... I'm satisfied enough but if you really want narrow band control you might need a heater of some kind.

I'm really happy with mine. I use mine only with a freezer, which makes for some variability in temps, I kind of bounce between 67f and 63f, the cooling is vigorous enough that the ambient temps keep reducing the temp on the carboy long after the condenser shuts off ... I'm satisfied enough but if you really want narrow band control you might need a heater of some kind.

I've found that with a freezer it's best to monitor beer temp and regulate ambient temp. I have a cheap probe thermometer in my thermowell.
I've peaked 7*F over ambient in a 11g batch in my speidel. It takes a bit of monitoring the first few days but set and forget by the 4th day

I started doing that after 002 flocced out halfway through fermentation because it got to cold

I've found that with a freezer it's best to monitor beer temp and regulate ambient temp. I have a cheap probe thermometer in my thermowell.
I've peaked 7*F over ambient in a 11g batch in my speidel. It takes a bit of monitoring the first few days but set and forget by the 4th day

I started doing that after 002 flocced out halfway through fermentation because it got to cold

Can you elaborate on this? Where are you putting your controller temp sensor? The wort temp was 7*F higher than the set temp? I'm just trying to figure out how to use this.

Can you elaborate on this? Where are you putting your controller temp sensor? The wort temp was 7*F higher than the set temp? I'm just trying to figure out how to use this.

I no longer use this and use an old fridge instead. The freezer is now my kegerator, but I still use the same method. I duct tape the probe to one of those tiny soda cans in the kegerator to help regulate and minimize compressor cycling.
It's not hard for a deep freeze to stay in the 60s if the seals are good.
So if I aim to ferment at 65, I may start it at 63 until fermentation starts, then drop the temp settings a degree every 10-12 hours until my probe thermometer in the thermo well is reading is 65. Let it ride at that temp until fermentation slows, then ramp the temp up a couple degrees every couple days.

The small soda cans temperature will change more immediate than a 60l fermenter, but that will drop the ambient temp in the freezer much lower than the set point. If you try to change the temp of 11g of fluid one degree with a freezer(controller probe in thermowell), the temperature of the air in the freezer will be below freezing by the time that happens and the fermenter will continue to drop temp.

You must stop looking at it as controlling the beer temperature. Instead, you control it's environment. It's a 63* F(+/-1*) room that you ferment in, oh and it has a super powerful AC unit that will freeze your nuts off if not careful.

Update:

Bottled and mini kegged my first batch today. It had a slight taste of green apple however the instructions said that it might and needs to age 4 more weeks.

-Altrez

Bought a chest freezer today, and my Inkbird controller will be here Tues. Then I can get back to brewing, as I'll have 3 empty fermenters that need something in them. :ban: But right now it's time to bottle my second batch of Dead Ringer. Tried a bottle of the first batch a few days ago and it's delicious! :mug: :rockin:

Update:

Bottled and mini kegged my first batch today. It had a slight taste of green apple however the instructions said that it might and needs to age 4 more weeks.

-Altrez

Congrats on this very fine accomplishment...let the corn sugar do its thing to carb those bad boys us and enjoy! :mug:

Ordered mine today. Now need to go get a freezer. Are you using yours with a heater, or only cooling? I'm just not seeing the need for a heater brewing ales.

I just use the cool side for now and that seems to be enough. I am thinking about putting a light on the heating plugin so I know when the temp drops below what I have it set to.

-Altrez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back