More Alcohol Conten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pikken

Reaction score
I made a Morgan's Inda Pale Ale from a kit in a can. If I'm doing it properly it's at about a 4% alcohol content. two readins on the hydrometer was 1040 and 1010. Is there a similiar kit I could get that has a content of at least 5%? If anyone knows the store brand Alexander Keiths Inda Pale Ale, that's what I'm trying to get something similiar to.

I made a Morgan's Inda Pale Ale from a kit in a can. If I'm doing it properly it's at about a 4% alcohol content. two readins on the hydrometer was 1040 and 1010. Is there a similiar kit I could get that has a content of at least 5%? If anyone knows the store brand Alexander Keiths Inda Pale Ale, that's what I'm trying to get something similiar to.

If you are making a 5 gal batch then you can try to up the ABV with DME works for me but like it was explained to me dont chase with time it will happen.

If you like the one you made, but just want to bump up the abv a bit, you can always add sugar or DME until you get the OG where you want it.

Was this an extract kit? Did you do a partial boil? If so, that can sometimes cause low (or high) OG readings due to the top up water not being mixed thoroughly.

Does the kit give you a target OG? As long as you used the correct amount of water, you should be pretty close to that even if your reading seemed low.

Just adding sugar or DME isn't really a good idea because this will change the recipe and throw the beer out of balance. If you don't care about the flavor of your beer, then add whatever you want.

I do care about the falvour for sure. I like the beer just not enough "kick". It comes in a can. Looks like molasses. You add sugar and water then the yeast. I don't recall there being any target numbers on the label though.

If you are going to use the DME/DRY MALT EXTRACT I also found that steeping grains are going to off set the flavor of the DME also gives better head retention. And just by adding DME does not alter the flavor that much.

I do care about the falvour for sure. I like the beer just not enough "kick". It comes in a can. Looks like molasses. You add sugar and water then the yeast. I don't recall there being any target numbers on the label though.

I would just let this beer be. Bottle it up and enjoy it for what it is... your first batch.

Then I'd go read http://www.howtobrew.com and try again. At that point you'll have a better understanding of what you're doing and what you're trying to accomplish.

Latest posts

Back