More alcamahol means more drunk. Miller Fortune...more "craft" from bmc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyhitch1

Reaction score
Sigh...

http://adage.com/article/news/millercoors-takes-bud-light-platinum-miller-fortune/243682/

So its become a Di*k size contest now???

Whats next, vodka water??

I dont hate on BMC or the peole who drink it, it is there choice to drink whatever they want, i feel as thought BMC is crankin up the ABV because people want to get drunk faster....drink liquor!!!

Millercoors is also realeasing a hard cider later next yeat called "Smith & Forge" and targeted towards males...oh so just cause your cider sounds like a tool company you expect me to by it

"Guys in particular just haven't felt fully comfortable enjoying cider," Mr. Kroll said. Smith & Forge really is about bringing the "grit and greatness" back to cider

Finally, I can drink cider without having to worry about people's perception of me being the manliest manly man in danger.

I have to admit that I went for a 12 pack of Beck Saphir (6%, Becks answer to platinum), wasn't great, but I got some sweet black bottles out of it

I have to admit that I went for a 12 pack of Beck Saphir (6%, Becks answer to platinum), wasn't great, but I got some sweet black bottles out of it

Becks Sapphire was brewed with the new german hop "sapphire", if it was brewed with sapphire and called "premium becks" that's where I would draw the line.

These companys want to sell concentrated versions of there already mass marketed beer as different names such as "premium" "platinum" and now "fortune"....gimme an effing break already.

Whats next??? Taste the Rockies? Cold fermented? Superior Drinkability?

...wait a sec

Whoa, 6.9% ABV! Can you say "game-changer"?

I didn't realize Bud Platinum was selling all that well.

Whats next??? Taste the Rockies? Cold fermented? Superior Drinkability?

...wait a sec

"Cold Brewed" is my favorite (Guinness Black Lager), are they using dry ice or what? makes no sense. Cold fermented? yes. Cold brewed? no such thing. Of all the companies to promote beer-ignorance I wouldn't have thought it would be Guinness

"Cold Brewed" is my favorite (Guinness Black Lager), are they using dry ice or what? makes no sense. Cold fermented? yes. Cold brewed? no such thing. Of all the companies to promote beer-ignorance I wouldn't have thought it would be Guinness

Knew I was getting that one wrong, it sounded to right :mug: lol

I had this stuff. Back when it was called Icehouse. Or Leinie's Ice. Or Bud Ice Draught Light (not making that last one up.)

Whoa, 6.9% ABV! Can you say "game-changer"?

I didn't realize Bud Platinum was selling all that well.

Not really. They just don't dilute as heavily. Bud Platimun in OKC is still 3.2%ABV like their standard king.

Pretty sure they brew to one strength, blend for consistencey, and then dilute according to market regulations.

Smith_Forge.jpg

Nothing like a little grit in my cider.

"He said he expects that consumers and bartenders might even pour Fortune in a short glass rather than a traditional beer pint."

Do they really believe that? Really?

why does BMC seem to love lagers so much? ive never understood that

Just their target audience. Before the major craft brewing boom, most of the beers over here in America were simple light lagers with very little flavor. It's what America was buying, so it's what the sellers made.

Same today. Most Americans still prefer the lighter flavored and bodied lagers, which is why they sell so well. Plus they're cheaper to make.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Not really. They just don't dilute as heavily. Bud Platimun in OKC is still 3.2%ABV like their standard king.

Pretty sure they brew to one strength, blend for consistencey, and then dilute according to market regulations.

Sorry, that was sarcasm about the "game-changer" part. I think it's funny how Bud bumps up the ABV on pretty much the same lousy product and acts like it's breakthrough, so Miller boosts theirs just a little higher. Like Johnny said, it's all a d**k-swinging contest.

joyceman said:
"He said he expects that consumers and bartenders might even pour Fortune in a short glass rather than a traditional beer pint."

They're probably hoping bars will charge bottle prices for a shot serving size...

Corporate doublespeak, I betcha. When Miller did their double vent cans, they said, "Oh, no. Of course not - this isn't to make it easier to shotgun beers. In fact, we discourage consumers from engaging in the reckless activity of shotgunning and encourage them to drink responsibly."

Meanwhile, I was at a Brewers game and the Diamond Dancer cheerleader chicks were handing out little cards, emblazoned with the Miller logo, that had pictures and step-by-step instructions on how to shotgun using the new cans. They also handed out golf tees, for use in opening the second vent for shotgunning right there on the spot. Wish I would have saved one of those little cards.

EDIT: "PUNCH top." Forgot what they were called.

Sorry, that was sarcasm about the "game-changer" part. I think it's funny how Bud bumps up the ABV on pretty much the same lousy product and acts like it's breakthrough, so Miller boosts theirs just a little higher. Like Johnny said, it's all a d**k-swinging contest.

Well, actually, it is a game changer for them.

Market the product as having more of something it already has simply by reducing the amount of the least expensive additive. Sure, that means it packages less per batch but they get to charge more for doing less and their consumers think it's revolutionary.

It's genious really.

Just their target audience. Before the major craft brewing boom, most of the beers over here in America were simple light lagers with very little flavor. It's what America was buying, so it's what the sellers made.

Same today. Most Americans still prefer the lighter flavored and bodied lagers, which is why they sell so well. Plus they're cheaper to make.

historically there's a few reasons, not the least of which are prohibition, 2 world wars, and hot hot weather

The people who run the BMC have my respect because they can mass produce a consistent product( even if it taste bad).

I think most people who drink it don't know any better or just don't care. Who knows! There needs to be a legit study done to see the difference between BMC drinkers and HB/micro brew/craft brew drinkers.

Hmm, I think "grit" might be a flaw in a cider. Maybe they need... *puts sunglasses on* to "cold filter" it. *YEEEAAAAAHHHHH!*

Disclaimer- completely my opinion with no real fact basis.

I am agnostic about the whole BMC marketing ploys. I mean if they are trying to differentiate their brand to a targeted audience...go for it. I guess my point is that we are not their target audience and that is the bigger problem. With local brewpubs and the palate of Americans becoming a little more sophisticated, they are missing the boat. So shotgun beer cans, cans that tell you if your beer is ice cold, high ABV, and so on is how they plan to break through...good luck. I have an idea, how about make a real beer and market that. I have the perfect name too, "real beer." :D

Disclaimer- completely my opinion with no real fact basis.

I am agnostic about the whole BMC marketing ploys. I mean if they are trying to differentiate their brand to a targeted audience...go for it. I guess my point is that we are not their target audience and that is the bigger problem. With local brewpubs and the palate of Americans becoming a little more sophisticated, they are missing the boat. So shotgun beer cans, cans that tell you if your beer is ice cold, high ABV, and so on is how they plan to break through...good luck. I have an idea, how about make a real beer and market that. I have the perfect name too, "real beer." :D

The tide is turning, albeit very slowly, with craft brands gaining market share. However, BMC still commands something like 94% of the market, so obviously their marketing is still effective on the vast majority of consumers.

Back