Mold problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

Reaction score
Bottled a skeeter pee yesterday and when I was cleaning up my stuff I found a very small colony of little specks of mold in my siphon hose. Well I tossed the hose but wonder what I should do with the wine.

Bottled a skeeter pee yesterday and when I was cleaning up my stuff I found a very small colony of little specks of mold in my siphon hose. Well I tossed the hose but wonder what I should do with the wine.

Damn that sucks, did you flush / sanitize the hose before botteling?

Ran about a gallon of star san thru it before I racked put of carboy to bottle bucket. Back sweetened it then bottled thru same hose. I always run water thru it when I clean up and then run star san thru my hose bottle filler ect. I never noticed the mold until I was cleaning up. I know how it got there. I usually brew beer once a week. Haven't brewed since last March and there was moisture in the hose too long.

That really sucks. It is very possible the mold did not infect your SP, since it's high alcohol. Your bottles may be fine. Drink ASAP.
2 ways for long term storage of (racking) hoses and other such equipment with narrow inside areas:

1. After cleaning, leave under Starsan. That's what I usually do.
2. After cleaning, Starsan, hang up from the middle like over a corner post of a metal storage rack, allowing it to drip then dry thoroughly

I do scrub my hoses with a long draw brush and some PBW from time to time to remove build up.

I would drink ASAP as other have said, before it has a chance to take hold.

On a side note and TOTALLY :off: But I think you ( @oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer ) probably have the longest username in HBT history!

Cheers
Jay

The user name has a long history of mischief. I got it in the Flint knapping world about 15 yrs ago. I figured drink it asap. Thought there may be enough acid in the lemon and enough alcohol to save from dumping.

Mold needs oxygen to grow so if you keep oxygen out of the picture you should be good. Also though, you are right about the acidity...lemon juice would make it hard for the mold to grow even if oxygen were present.

Latest posts

Back