Mold or Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCM5150

Reaction score
So I have a growth on the surface of my beer which I have never seen before. First thought is that it is mold, but looking at the threads it appears it could possibly just yeast blooms at the surface.

Brewed on Saturday (around 3pm finish) now about 8m Tuesday (over 72 hours)
Fermenting at 68F
No apparent fermentation has taken place
OG (and current SG) 1.073
Vermont Yeast Gigapack. Straight pitch per directions (first time using this yeast.
Taste seem fine. Not sure what this exactly should taste like, but I do not detect any off flavors yet.

So, if it is yeast, do I still leave it as it and see if fermentation takes off or perhaps add more yeast (although it will have to be a dry yeast I have available).
If it is not yeast, is it possible to rack off the beer and possible heat it (to pasteurize ) and then ferment as no (or very little) fermentation has appeared to happen.
Or do I have any other choices - would prefer not to throw away (of course)

20161018_194741.jpg

Did you check it with a hydrometer? That is a top ferrmenting ale yeast. It may be getting ready to take off.
Yes, I took a sample and used a hydrometer...no noticeable change in SG. I guess I will let it go and see what happens. Seems to be a pretty slow start for a "gigapack" of yeast but I guess I don't really know what to expect from this yeast.

Ive never used it either. I have had Bry97 and WLP400 take this long to take off before. Id give it 24 more hours before pitching something else. Hope it takes off for ya!

Back