Mold on Outside of Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinterWarrior

Reaction score
OK, this is new and kinda freaky.

I have a small commercial soda fridge (like you see in a convenience store) and I adapted it to holds 4 kegs. Fridge was free, so it works for me!

I just took out all 4 kegs. Three were fine (2 were kicked and I'm filling with more yummy goodness) but I pulled out the 4th keg which had been sitting in there awhile and the top of it has little dots of mold. Euuuwww! The mold appears to be on both the rubber and metal.

There is no mold anywhere inside the fridge, which is stainless steel, or on any of the other 3 kegs -- it's isolated to this one keg. And I haven't opened the keg yet ... I'm almost afraid of what I'll find.

I've honestly never had a mold issue before, so I don't know the best way to clean it up. Please tell me that the keg isn't ruined.

I'm assuming I need to replace all seals and give it a good scrub. What's the best way to clean to make sure I've killed anything growing so this doesn't happen again?

Thanks!

Scrub the outside of the keg with a PBW solution or Bar Keepers Friend before opening. The mold may just from a spill on the top of the keg. If you find mold inside, then it may be time to replace all the seals.

Back