Mold like growth in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrogantDusty

Reaction score
So... I got busy and left a Chocolate Milk Stout (with cocoa powder) in the secondary for a few months. No big deal, I take a look at it every week or so. Anyway, one day, I look and the airlock is dried out, so I fill it up. It could not have been more than a week.

While filling it up , I noticed something on the surface (pictured). The big blob in the middle looks like skin or something. the smaller one to the side that is harder to see has hair like things growing out of it. Seems like a type of mold for sure.

I am assuming I should pitch this and clean the carboy really well. Any other thoughts?

IMG_3169.JPG

IMG_3168.JPG

You sure it's not just a clump of dried krausen?

Whatever it is, you can clean up the carboy. Fill to the top with hot tap water, add some PBW or Oxiclean and let it soak overnight. Drain and rinse several times.

You could potentially skim it off or transfer to another carboy by pulling from below the surface. If it's not a bad infection, that will cut your losses.

If that is mold (and it looks like it is), simply rack the beer to another carboy leaving a solid 2 inches in the primary with the mold on top.

I have done this after leaving a porter too long and it formed a mold patch. It was just fine. That beer went on tap for 3 full weeks and never changed at all.

Clean and sanitize the primary as per normal. Mold is not really bad like an infection of acetobacter or pediococcus.

Back