Mold in my StarSan Container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StLouBrew

Reaction score
I've been mixing up 5 gal batches of StarSan and keeping it in a sealded Homer bucket. The last time I opened it up I noticed I had some black fuzzy mold taking up residence on the inner surface of the bucket up near the lid.

Is it safe to assume that as long as the pH of the StarSan is where it's supposed to be, that it will be effective in killing the mold AND that this 5 gal batch itself is not contaminated with mold?

Thanks!
:mug:

I would test that solution for PH and see if it is still good. it would seem to me that if it was still good, then mold could not grow in it.

The sanitizer isn't touching where the mold is. I get the same thing. Sanitizer tests just fine for pH. I've got the screw top bucket lids (gamma?) and the crevices of the lid get black mold in them. That lid doesn't touch the sanitizer much.

Kind of sounds like the mold might be growing in the "condensation", where the temp changes when the bucket sits inactive, and the sanitizer does not "carry over" in the condensate, only the water vapor.

I had the same issue. I keep starsan in gallon jugs now. I try to keep them full too

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Why risk it? You could try making less so it isn't sitting around to mold.

I only make a gallon at a time by measuring 6 ml with a syringe & squirting it in the jug of distilled water. Then I keep it in the jug the distilled water came in and in a spray bottle. I never understood why someone would need 5 gal at one time on a homebrewing scale.

Back