mold in lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphmag025

Reaction score
I thought I had cleaned everything out of my keg lines...apparently not. Now I have a mold issue. Any advice on getting that out? What a bummer!

At a brewclub meeting a fellow brewer showed how he used compressed air to push a knotted piece of yarn through a beer line to swab out the inside. Don't know if this helps, but yeah, new line would be best.

There is no problem in getting mold or bacterial growth out of your lines. Beer Line Cleaner is one option, but it isn't the strongest option. A strong lye solution is very useful in getting stubborn deposits out of lines. Just understand that a strong lye solution is very caustic and will destroy any skin or eyes or other body parts it touches. It demands TOTAL respect.

Once the growths are out of the lines, sanitize with Iodophor....NOT StarSan. StarSan doesn't have the capability to destroy mold spores, but Iodophor does. You could also use a bleach solution, but that will taint your lines and require you to rinse them for a long time.

Back