Mold in blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasDroughtBrewery

Reaction score
So, as the title suggests I had a blow off, and in a hurry I put a blow off tube on my setup but used normal tap water. After the rush of getting it tube on so it didn't spill out anymore...I then cleaned all of the walls I completely spaced out and didn't change the water out to star san solution. Needless to say after about a two weeks I go to check on the beer to see if its about done I see mold in the water where the blow off tube is at. I don't THINK that would cause any problems as none of the water got suctioned into the fermenter and I didn't see signs of mold in the tube or anything...however with the krausen being that high I think the chance of seeing mold in there would of been next to nothing anyway... So I said well whatever...I went ahead and put in my keg and stuck it on the gas two days ago. But its been haunting me to know if this beer is going to be infected and or have off flavors now.

TL;DR version:
I got mold in my blow off tube water how does that effect my beer? Does it cause off flavors...anyone else experience this before?

Mold spores don't have legs or crawl. They travel on air currents. As long as there was no suck back, and that tube was under water, there would be no air infiltration back into the fermentor.

I'd say your beer is safe.

The constant pressure of fermentation should keep the mold from traveling up the tube and into the beer and at only 2 weeks I'm saying you're good to go since it takes a bit for the mold to actually start forming. I have had this happen too only I did use Star San water. The goo that went into the pail of water ended up molding a bit on me. I was also pretty worried but the beer turned out fine. It was a note to self to change the water more frequently. I wouldn't worry unless you see green or black hairs on the surface of your beer!

I'm with the others, you're likely fine.

I generally soak my blow off tube in hot PBW afterwards and that generally does the trick. But if you see active mold, I would probably just toss it and buy another. You could boil it, I suppose.

Thanks guys, I kind of figured thats why I went ahead and racked it in the keg. It's just been on my mind.

I'm with the others, you're likely fine.

I generally soak my blow off tube in hot PBW afterwards and that generally does the trick. But if you see active mold, I would probably just toss it and buy another. You could boil it, I suppose.

This ^
Cleaning blow off tubes (or any other tubing used in brewing) is essential.

I've not found long draw brushes over 3/8". I believe some mechanical means to scrub the inside of hoses is beneficial. Hot PBW soak works, or recirculate hot PBW through the tubing with a pump. Yet I still like to run a brush through them from time to time.

This ^
Cleaning blow off tubes (or any other tubing used in brewing) is essential.

I've not found long draw brushes over 3/8". I believe some mechanical means to scrub the inside of hoses is beneficial. Hot PBW soak works, or recirculate hot PBW through the tubing with a pump. Yet I still like to run a brush through them from time to time.

I don't think mold actually got in the tubes it was just a piece of green mold with a touch of blue floating in the water about the size of a quarter.

I respectfully disagree, through experience. Mold in a blow off/out tube and/or the water it is routed into, will cause off flavors and have an affect on the beer results. It will likely create a “sour” beer, depending on the bacteria the mold is forming from. Some folks like a sour beer too, so not an issue for them. Air that mold travels in, is in the tube that has air in it, does not take much movement within that structure (bubbling brew) to allow mold/bacteria circulation (even though it is extremely slight in its travels) resulting in sour or affected brew. This has happened to me on occasion (twice with different brews) and has not since I discovered the solution. The prevention to this is to ALWAYS only use a Starsan solution in your blowoff bucket and even in your airlocks. I used only water in my bucket prior to this and with the issue. One might argue that there was already bacteria of some type in the brew prior to blowoff, which is possible. However both times I have encountered this, the specific brews brewed many times before without mold problems, and the two with the issues were the only times they were brewed where they had to have blowoff tubes and buckets applied.
Theories mentioned seem somewhat valid, but I am simply stating from experience.

I'd suggest removing the blow-off tube when major active fermentation has stopped, and switch back to a bubbler or 3-piece airlock. Every inch of tubing is that much more volume with direct access to your baby beer.

Back