Mold Confirmed, tasted ok - Need HBT Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PegCityBrew

Reaction score
Hello Folks:

So here is the story:

I dumped some wort ontop of my yeast cake (done it before and had a great brew). However this batch I had to leave in my primary into an extended period because I didn't have a carboy (almost 3 weeks now). I noticed it today and saw mold on the side and a little floating in my beer (not a ton, just floters). I immeadiatly transfered it to another sanitized primary I had sitting around making sure to avoid getting the mold into the new primary.

Tasted it... and as Revvy put it... it DID NOT taste like satan's ass.... so... the age old question (it actually wasn't to bad). To dump or not to dump?

PS. I am going to bottle a carboy tomorrow to make it available, it is right now sitting in a primary, do you think it will be ok for 24 hours?

Thanks!

I'd bet a lot of dollars it isn't mold. Can you post a picture? 3 weeks isn't an extended amount of time when it comes to primary fermentation. In fact, it's a fairly common duration, and the shortest I ever use.

Do you have any SG readings? I'd wager those floaties are just residual kraeusen and yeast rafts. If it tastes OK, it's likely not infected.

Verdict: DO NOT DUMP. There are multiple reason why this beer should turn out just fine. Even if it ends up going south, all you've done is spent some time watching it and bottling it. Small price to pay for the good chance to end up with good beer.

Pretty sure it was mold. Sorry no pic, once i saw it I immediately started to transfer it to another sanitized primary and put a clorox solution in the moldy one. It was a gray somewhat fuzzy but it wasn't in my beer (some of it was touching), it was on the krausen that stays on the side after fermentation. I am going to get it into secondary tonight after I free up a carboy.

Back