Modular Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdfireguy

Reaction score
Fair warning this might take a while. As a single father, it will likely take me some time to accomplish this. Given all the great threads detailing the inspiration, I figured that I would throw my lot in too.

The goal is to design something that is modular in nature. Something that can grow as I do. I scored an older GE 7.2 CF freezer and don’t want to dump a ton of time into something that may die in 6 months. Certain components I want to be able to move right to the next one. So here are my thoughts:

Base frame is going to be standard, it is easily modified for any freezer used down the line. No skirt at this time (I think).

I am looking to do a coffin-styled keezer. Coffin will be set up for 3 faucets, but have room to add two more. It will also be removable so I don’t have to build it again. Gas storage will be external to the freezer, but contained within a base cabinet. Cabinet needs to be sized for two 20lb tanks (since I have eight or nine – another CL score). Someday I may want to push beergas or Nitrogen. Also, I can always add a second matching cabinet on the other side sometime if I need more storage.

The chest is deep enough (just barely) to house the kegs, but a little more room will make things nice – so a collar is going on. Now here is the kicker. The existing lid was damaged and the sheet metal is pretty jacked up, so I’m thinking of attaching the existing hinges to the collar, topping with ply and insulating the whole thing (2”; R-10). Essentially creating my own lid.

I am not looking to spend the time and money wrapping this one. It is too small for long term use and may not last that long (if I outgrow it, I’ll make a ferm chamber). So it’s getting chalkboard paint on the front.

I suck at sketchup , so here is my poor excuse of an MS paint rendering. I have many pages of notes and hand sketches with a lot more detail (mostly stolen from here!). I would appreciate any feedback on initial design thoughts.

6670-keezer-prelim.png

I like your ideas, and I'm working on the same plan. I just got a 7.4 cf freezer and permission to build it up into a "dining room" serving bar! My first hobby is woodworking, so I'm planning on using some nice walnut to match existing items in the house. I really like the Jester version of this coffin/keezer.

Same location for me. I am debating using a pre-built kitchen base cabinet for simplicity and speed (removing the drawer and reattaching the panel), or custom building one. I would rather go the custom route as I will know the quality will be there. However, until the shegage (little more than a shed, a little less than a detached garage) is built for my woodworking tools, I'll be tripping over myself in my attached garage - which is more a storage dump than anything...

It shouldn't take me more than a day to build just the cabinet. I could use a buddy's garage and tools to put it together. If only spring would come (I blame that rodent in central PA), I could work out in the driveway!

On another note, I already have pieced together most of the kegging hardware. Still waiting for the Perlick faucets to go on sale again. I would LOVE to see them drop below $30 again!!! They (and a couple regulators) are the only pieces of the puzzle that I am missing.

Latest posts

Back